Bartlett anthias - an expensive meal

ccCapt

Reef Hacker
As I'm getting ready to go to lunch, I get a call from my 18 yr old daughter.

Dad, there's a fish in the anemone.
Only 1? There should be 2.
No Dad, 1 extra.
Uhhhhohhhhh What color is it?
It's the pink and yellow 1. I think the 1 the other pink and yellow 1 always chases.
Oh, is it trying to get out?
No, it's half way down the anemones mouth.
Oh. OK, nothing you can do then. Thanks for letting me know.
OK bye........

Well, the more dominant male kept the other male confined pretty much to the corner closest to the clowns/anemone. Don't know what happened, but the anemone just got a nice fat $50 meal.
Lesson learned - 125g tank is not big enough for 2 large male Bartlett anthias.

Another reason I DONT recommend anemones for reef tanks.
But thats nature I guess,as ugly and expensive as it is.

that sucks ccapt.i am glad to hear that your daughter was ready to try and do something about it to save it if she could

That sucks! I have also lost fish to my anemones, I came home one day and my anemone was spitting out fish bones. (OH! Thats where that fish went) Anemone's do best in an anemone clownfish tank.

Man that's a tough loss cccapt! I wonder if it would have tasted better to the nem if it knew how much you paid for the fish... ;)

Man that sucks! But it reminded me of that story that someone here told, about how they were sold a carpet anemone and the LFS swore up and down that it would never eat their fish, then when he added the nem to the tank, a firefish got spooked and jumped out of the tank, so he grabbed it off the floor and put it back into the tank, and it swam right into the anemone's mouth, and the anemone started eating it, so he grabbed the anemone out and brought it right back to the LFS, and the firefish was still thrashing around in its mouth and he demanded his money back...

Ahhh good times! Oh yeah, but anyways I'm sorry you lost one of your anthias. That's a really sucky fish to lose!

Man that sucks! But it reminded me of that story that someone here told, about how they were sold a carpet anemone and the LFS swore up and down that it would never eat their fish, then when he added the nem to the tank, a firefish got spooked and jumped out of the tank, so he grabbed it off the floor and put it back into the tank, and it swam right into the anemone's mouth, and the anemone started eating it, so he grabbed the anemone out and brought it right back to the LFS, and the firefish was still thrashing around in its mouth and he demanded his money back...

Ahhh good times! Oh yeah, but anyways I'm sorry you lost one of your anthias. That's a really sucky fish to lose!

Did they give a refund?

Back