Base rock & Live rock

scandluz22

Reefing newb
So when I set up my tank next week how much Live rock do I need? How much base rock? or should it all be live rock? And for that matter how much live sand? I have 20lbs now. Its a 55G tank. Thanks

One to Two lbs of live rock per gallon is normal. It doesnt all have to be live it will seed from the live rock. As for the live sand the norm is 1-1.5lbs for live sand per gallon. Doesnt need to be live either that will seed from the rock.

So when I set up my tank next week how much Live rock do I need? How much base rock? or should it all be live rock? And for that matter how much live sand? I have 20lbs now. Its a 55G tank. Thanks
you really don't need to us the live sand the live rock will make the sand, live sand over time :D so if you have not opened the bags you could always just bring them back and get normal non live reef sand. and i do believe its 2" of of sand bed. im not to sure one how many bags that is but I used 2 on my 29

Last edited:
Do I need to put all the rock in right away? Or would it be ok to add it over time. Lets say I get 80lbs now is that enough or do I need all of it now?

And Thanks

Back