base rock

I think you want something that is calcium carbonate based. If you can get any info on whether it passes the fizz test it would be alright. No fizz no buy.

hard to say. I did a quick google on it and came up with some stuff.

Some, but not all, lava rocks work well for live rock culture. Be cautious though, some types of lava rock just leach too many minerals and grow cyanobacteria (red, green and other colored slime algae) and hair algae very readily. If you've seen other people using a particular type of lava successfully without problems, then you're probably safe using the type they are using too.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6279/RaiseCementRock.html

There are a few other sites with the same info. Sounds to me like its not worth it. His sand he sells doesnt sound great either =\

i found a few things wrong with that add. it says its cured base rock which cant be because base rock is dead rock. also they ship ground which means it would be dead anyways buy the time it got to you anyways. you would be better off buy base rock from your LFS since you can hand pick your pieces there usually for the same price per rock

There are no rules or regulations as to what rock is or is not as far as what it is called, IE. base rock or live rock, cured or uncured. Base rock to some suppliers is live rock without coraline or anything else on its surface, such as sponges, polyps, sponges etc. To some people base rock is dry rock.
As far as whether or not lava rock is safe: lava rock can be made up of many minerals, good or/and bad, two rocks from the same suplier can have entirely different levels of minerals in them. We are talking rock that has melted and flowed to the surface melting even more rock along the way and then all the minerals mixing all together. I personally would not put lava rock in my tanks, nor Tufa which is another name for a type of lava rock. It is not worth taking the chance when carbonate based rocks can be bought cheaply. See this site http://www.mariculturetechnology.com/Rock.htm for really nice rock at cheap prices, and all carbonate based.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I agree with what you're saying, better safe than sorry. I'm just looking for about 10 more pounds to throw into the sump and was seeing if I could do it cheaply. Thanks again!

Back