base rock

315hottuna61

" Take a Kid Fishing "
i am making base rock and have 20-30 lbs. curing under water. i would like any comments from anyone that has experience in doing the same.

Have you had any luck in curing - making your own live rocks? Iam just starting in the saltwater field and was wondering why I could not do it myself.

Baserock is easy and ( fun?) to make, but don't believe anyone that tells you it can be cured quickly. It took me 3 months to cure mine .Just make sure the PH ic correct. If you want my formula - shoot me a PM. there also are numerous videos on u tube.

I would like to know how you cured yours? I bought some to put in my tank to start my tank. Will the live rock cure my othe rockes in the tank after a while?

if your " dry rock" is freshly made then you cannot introduce it into a live tank. It must be stored by itself in water ( tap water is fine ) and new water should be added periodically ( preferabaly with a powerhead to circulate) and the PH checked until it is correct ( 7.5 + or - ). This process probably will take 2 or 3 months.

Check out the link that Slwedge included, that will give you a better understanding of what i was talking about.The big problem with making your own baserock is that it takes so damn long before it can be used in your display tank

I love that website. Only down side is it is so hard to navigate. I think the people got ahold of front page and just went crazy! :frustrat:

Almost all the rock in our tank is diy rock that we made using this recipe on youtube:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPebEdEoMA]DIY Live Rock - by Ed - YouTube[/ame]

We have about 40lbs in our tank and after about 2 months maybe sooner or a little longer we have coralline starting to grow on it. We made some recently and it's curing outside. Our first batch took about 4 months to cure.

I'm about to put another batch of garf rocks in my tank. They were curing in tap water for around 3 months.

Just FYI for you guys who make your rocks w/ the salt -- those rocks should be on top, and not used as the base of a structure. They are not strong enough and you could end up with a cave-in. This last batch I made has no salt, so they'll be at the base of my structures.

Also rocks cure faster outdoors in the sun :) In winter, obviously you'll have to do it indoors. I did not put a powerhead in my tubs, either.

Back