Battle of the Bristleworms

I've got my Bristleworm death house under a Cross for safety reasons. I'll send them your way before the Priest arrives for the exorcism!

Catherine

Hey I have some of these!! Are they bad for the tank?

Eli, bristle worms are fabulous for your ecosystem and a benefit for your tank. I've got too many. When I feed my horses the rocks turn pink and wiggly. I'm thinning out my tank's population and trying to get some of the bigger ones out before I end up with something that looks like this:

Giant%20Reef%20Bristle%20Worm%20Newquay.jpg

That one ended up 4 feet long! The best approach is to get very thick gloves when handling rocks a lesson I learned the hard way!

C

Thanks, daugherty. I've tried that approach. You can read about it here: https://www.livingreefs.com/im-afraid-franks-t21339.html

I think, when I move my horses to my 55 gallon, that I'm going to get an arrow crab. Yesterday I was kind of mad and I couldn't work because my hand looks like something out of a zombie move so I grabbed my tweezers and went on a rampage. Maybe I'm not making the trap right. I'll try again tonight and take pics in case I'm doing it wrong. Thanks again.

C

yea i tried the panty hose thing, and i ended up with nothing more than a crab toy.... did i do it wrong as well? should the hose be loose, or pulled taught around the food?

Loose. Put the food inside the panty hose (Knee high) and when the worms go after the food they get tangled up in the hose. Pull them out before the lights come on.

Be careful with the arrow crab. They can catch and eat fish, and it seems like horses would be an easy meal for them.

Butthead crabs! Looks like I need the pantyhose thing to work. Thanks, Biff!

C

PS: Hand is lanced and bandaged. Antibiotics started, tetanus shot..... On the road to recovery. Still chasing those evil worms......

so, while home for thanksgiving (only 3 more weeks here in Bama!), I spotted 2 bristles in my tank! You guys were right....as always.

i hate franks too catherine!!! I've been stung enough for one lifetime.... i pluck em out when i see em too... they like to come out when i feed my tank and try to get me! D:<

they are evil... in fact, i just took apart a 10g and it sat for 2 months and those buggars were STILL alive when I had no heater, filter, or ANYTHING in the tank but them! the water was FREEZING too!! I bet there are still some living in the grass in our backyard.... >_>

i'd be happy to send some of these guys away to "happy" new homes! lol

Back