Bay Area Heat Wave

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
So, I was up at Lake Tahoe this weekend for a wedding and came home Monday evening to find my tank heated up to 92 degrees and this.

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

Nope. It was mild when I left on Friday night. I have two 5" fans in my canopy and even they didn't help. Apparently the friend I had coming over to feed and top off didn't think it was hot enough to turn on the A/C.

That sucks, if that's the only casualty then you're pretty lucky.

The jury is still out on that. My Acans look to be receded, as well as a few other things. So far, the Frog is the only one that has suffered tissue loss and death.

if you counted 25-30 you only saw half of it. I think it's 65 heads now (or was). My Aussie Orange Hammer was looking bad the first day, but he has come back and looking great now. I'd have really been upset over that one if he'd died.

I had to run my light at night cause it was so hot! Plus I have 2 6 inch fans one on the sump and one blowing across the top of the tank. I swear there were white caps on the water:shock: the tank was still at 83. Im looking hard for a used chiller.

I had to run my light at night cause it was so hot! Plus I have 2 6 inch fans one on the sump and one blowing across the top of the tank. I swear there were white caps on the water:shock: the tank was still at 83. Im looking hard for a used chiller.

Yeah, I have a pair of 5" fans in the canopy that were working overtime when I walked in. I immediately turned on the A/C, the tank chiller, opened up the cabinet and canopy and aimed an oscilating fan at the tank.

Yeah, I have a pair of 5" fans in the canopy that were working overtime when I walked in. I immediately turned on the A/C, the tank chiller, opened up the cabinet and canopy and aimed an oscilating fan at the tank.

That's a better strategy than the one I undertook when my old 240 over heated... I immediately ran to the freezer and, in a panic, took out all my frozen food and dumped it in the tank. Probably $100 worth of groceries wasted!

That's a better strategy than the one I undertook when my old 240 over heated... I immediately ran to the freezer and, in a panic, took out all my frozen food and dumped it in the tank. Probably $100 worth of groceries wasted!

Look on the bright side, at least you had soup afterwards :mrgreen:.

I'm looking into a controller now. I want something I can access remotely since I am away so much. I like the idea of getting alerts on my cell phone of a temp spike, or Ph, salinity, etc. Now if I can find one that won't kill me to get, I'll be in business.

Shit there goes my frags! :mrgreen: :lol:

Sorry to read this Wade. I hate it when something happens like this. My first disaster was a major tank boil from a stuck powerful heater. I think my tank reach around 96* and stayed there for about a day. I lost about 20 corals. I hope you don't lose much. :x:

So far Dave, this is all. All the zoas (Red hornets, Blue Hornets, Purple Hornets, Black Hornets, Rastas, and the Paradise Zoas) made it through without a problem. I'd have been upset if they'd died off as well.

So that being said, you still have frags my friend.

Thank god my blastos survived!! It does suck about the coral though... It is heart breaking to lose something so big. I guess if that's your only one that doesn't make it, you can think about how it could have been worse. That's how I got through my kalk overdose, which killed probably more than half the corals in my tank. NDB just kept telling me that I still had the other half that I needed to take care of.

Back