Beat up looking Green Chromis

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So I just looked at my chromis and closely looking I noticed it looks like it's missing some of the tail fin like it looks mangey or w/e and not real colorful as it is like of blotchy but it still energetic and eating like crazy, the brittle starfish seems to be hanging out back where he does lately, could it be from a aggressive brittle? If so he's outta here

Depends... do you have a quarantine tank? If not you'll have to ask some regulars here I had to treat my freshies and treated them in tank. Parasite that is brought on by stress, nitrates got whacked way out. Recovery takes a long time though my $30 pleco still only has a stump.

hmm, it's only a $9 chromis so idk if it's even worth it, ik it's terrible, the stress might have been the brittle.

I've had the chromis for a little over a month now though so it's nothing completely new

sounds like fin rot to me too. I had a purple pseudochromis get it a while back. I never could catch him in order to QT and treat him. I just kept feeding him a good diet and he recovered on his own.

Did you do a large water change? or did your water parameters change at all? Do you have any other fish? if you do check them each carefully it starts with the very tips of there fins turning whitish then they shred pretty nasty stuff. Basically the stress could be any change in water or surroundings or possibly the brittle not really sure. Do you have a pic?

no large water change, last one I did was saturday and it was about 2 gallons. Water parameters nope they are perfect and have a auto top off for evaporation

I have 2 Clarkii Clowns and a sixline wrasse also

my camera sucks when taking pics of tanks so you wont be able to see it the tail just looks frayed and the sides are patchy

the other fish look fine so I guess I'll just keep feeding him and if he keeps eating like crazy there is a chance

Yea I'm not sure if it's the brittle but idk what else it could be since all the other fish are perfectly fine

UWW check out this link
Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - Diseases in Nature (Cytophaga Fin and Tail Rot) By Shawn Prescott September 1997 Aquarium.Net

It explains the organism that causes it, situations that promote it, and ways to treat it. I did the maracyn and maracyn 2 in my 29 gal planted, MAKE SURE you do the FULL TEN DAYS or you will have to retreat. Get the powder form too it works better than the tablets. Be sure to remove all carbon from any filtration systems aswell, meds wont work with it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......I have two Clarks and they do nip at my anthias from time to time..Some have missing and shredded tail fins.

Reef what do you make of the sides being patchy though I did think of the nipping as soon as he said color was lacking and sides were patchy I kinda ruled it out, hope not to give bad advice. You definately have more experience than I involving salties so if Im jumping the gun...

Ryan,I don't think you gave bad advice.I was just throwing out other possibilities.Blotches can indicate disease or rubbing against something like the rocks or sand.It can also indicate lost scales from being bitten and Clarks do have some teeth.I get bitten from time to time and I've read many times that when they get big they can draw blood.

Do you only have one chromis in your tank? They are schooling fish, so if you only have one, that could be stressing it. They do best in groups of odd numbers.

yes only one, and I know that, but it's been doing great for a month and been friendly with the other fish, I don't know why that would change now

I would lean more twards an agressive tank mate,

I had 2 damsels that were notorious for being bullies even to each other
If you pay attention to the tank right after a feeding you may see one of the lesser agressive fish Darting around look to see where they are running from and you may find the culprit.
I doubt it is a brittle starfish the chromies are a lil to fast for it to be the star. I may be wrong tho,

Back