Before I Buy Lights ......

THANKS DR. ACTUALLY I AM JUST TRYING TO FIGURE THE BEST WAY TO LIGHT MY TANK !!! ITS A FIGHT BETWEEN T5'S OR 1 150W 14K HALIDE ????
MY TANK SUCKS AS FAR AS TRYING TO PUT FIXTURES ON IT... I WAS GOING TO GO WITH THE T5'S NOVA EXTREME 4 x 24 BUT NOW I'M LEANING TOWARD A HANGING HALIDE... I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO !!!!!

How Much Difference You Think It Might Be ???? Maybe It Will Work With The 150w Hanging 15 Or 18 Inches Above ?? But I Hate To Buy Them And It Not Work You Know !!

that is up to you. I hear your concern. with a weird shaped tank, there is no easy way to pick lighting. If you want to risk it, go ahead with the MH. If you get them too high up, you can lose their effectiveness. Small tanks just are not made for MH IMHO. Can be done though. You have a better chance with the 150 over the 250 watt lights though.

-Doc

Well , I Guess I Should Just Get The 72 Bowfront Huh !!!!
I'm In Thinking Mode..... Might Have To Do What Yote Would Do...flip A Coin !!! Lol

You Have A 34 Too, You Might Have Just Made My Mind Up For Me !!! How Deep Is Your Tank, My Tank Is 24 Inches ???

mines a cube, 20X20X20 it's the Solana made by Current USA

just make sure you rember that you will want to run it top less most likely and you will probably want a ATO

Man, I didnt know MH's would change the water temp that much Biff, holy crap. Its tricky with an odd sized tank like that... and in your list you did only have easy to grow corals pretty much... But everyone changes their mind, what if you want to grow some nice SPS's in there? A hanging MH with a fan blowing across the water surface would work I think. They sell them at fosters and smith, my friend put 2 on his 55 with 2 MH's and it keeps the tank a lot more stable, not nearly the fluctuation through out the day.

The Hamilton 150w pendent would be perfect,IMO.Look into a 14k-20k bulb if this is going to be the only light.A 10k and lower will be too washy without actinics.If it gives you heat issues than buy one of those $5 clip on fans from Walmart.Make sure you run it over an open top or eggcrate.

Yeah, Im Gonna Run The 14k Bulb And Hang It About 12-15 Inches Above The Tank. The Tank Is Open Now So I Will Keep It That Way And Like You Said If I Have To Add A Fan Then I Can Do That Too. The Hamilton Is Perfect Size Also !!!

Well, Tax Money Is Here And I Will Be Ordering My New Light Asap, Most Likely Today. I Think I Am Going With The Hamilton Halide 14k 150w. Also Go News Finaly..i/m Also Picking Up A Skimmer Today !!!!!!!
So Today Kicks Ass For Me So Far !!!

Congrats Ray.
Be sure that when you get the light over the tank that you start it out slow and dont run it 10 hours a day.
The new reef lights will probable cause an algae explosion for a while.

Thats where I would start.Then add maybe an hour to that a week untill you get it to where you want it.

Back