beginner anemone?

my suggestion is Dont get one haha! they can make your life hell if they die. They will literately Kill your entire tank if you don't notice them dieing.

I would wait a little longer for your tank to mature a bit more. Stable water conditions are key to the long term survival of critters like nems.

@bcool22 : thanks lol..

@salty b: oh ok.. How long do you think I should wait? And when my tank is ready which anemone do you suggest?

thanks
jep

If you really want one. Wait 6 months to a year. That will give you a good solid foundation for what to expect from your tank to begin with. I was told this when I started out cause I had gotten a matted pair of clowns and I want them to have a home. But after a lot of research out the nems they are very hard to keep. And as a beginner experance can only be your best friend.

Most folks will recommend a year. Nems crap the same way that they eat and you'll want the beneficial bacteria,pods and detritus eating critters to be at their full potential. Also that time will let you keep working on keeping stable water params and dealing with fluctuations. Bubble tip anemones are pretty hardy and not to hard to care for and will host clownfish. Myself, I think they can get to large for a nano. I like the smaller nems like mini or maxi mini carpets but they wont host and one of my maxi's killed a clown. It's all going to be personal preference. Do a little research and you'll know what to get.

IMO the stock lights on a biocube14 won't be strong enough to keep an anemone.

However, since you asked the easiest nems to keep for a beginner would be the rockflower anemones or maxi-minis, neither of which however will host clowns. If you're looking at one to have that symbiotic relationship, then a bubble tip anemone will be the easiest to take care of.

I have had good experience with my condylactis they are very hardy got mine with my live rock order when my tank was only a few months old but if I could go back I would not get any at all. Or maybe like BL said stick with the pretty rock flower ones.

Not to step on toes here or be the "controversial reefer" here but I think anemones are difficult to keep when you dont understand your tank.....and by understand I mean more along the lines of maybe have a tendency to get lazy with upkeep or havent done your research.

I bought (quite on accident) a sebae anemone a month ago and it is currently doing beautifully. I also have a BTA that is doing beautifully....my tank is only about 2 1/2 months old. I understand that my tank is young and there is a certain potential for disaster as levels can change pretty frequently with young tanks. Perhaps it is because I have gotten lucky or perhaps it was because of careful selection and planning, however after it got out of the cycle phase I never had a swing in any level again.

I would suggest if you do have your heart set on getting a anemone I would do a few things.
~I check my levels religiously and I keep a running log of the results. I always have and it helps to let me know where I am at and what I should start looking for.
~Learn about what you are getting and plan on having it for a long time. Anemones are long lived creatures and when they die, its generally because we have caused their untimely demise. Learn if you need to feed it and what, what makes it happiest etc etc

I would highly suggest a BTA for a anemone. They are pretty hardy, reasonably priced, easy to find, and if you have clownfish there is a good chance your anemone would make a good place for them should your clowns choose to park there :) The BTA hosts 16 different types of clownfish and since there only seem to be a few that we get, there is a high probability that your would be welcome. Also the movement you get from them is what is the most striking thing. My sebea is great but is NOTHING like my BTA.

Back