Beginner coral options?

DJ_Z

Reefing newb
Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to aquarium keeping, been in the hobby for a year or so, with a saltwater tank that's been running about four months now. I pretty much have my livestock complete in terms of fish and inverts. I'm running a 40 gallon breeder with about 40 pounds of live rock and about the same amount of sand. I started purchasing corals, but they are expensive! So with my personal budget in mind, I wanted to get an idea of some corals that were hardy and forgiving for a novice. I'd hate to spend thirty or forty dollars on something that would die without perfect parameters.

I have five corals right now, a Zoanthid frag, a Pipe organ frag, a Mushroom that somehow has attached itself to a snail shell (yup...), a green trumpet coral, and a Gorgonia. So far they are all doing very well, but I'm looking to add some brighter colors to the tank.

Do any ideas immediately pop into mind? I have a great LFS that always has a wide variety in stock, so availability is not an issue.

Green star polyps, other kinds of zoas, ricordeas, there are a lot actually. Try an acan or a montipora cap. Birdsnest is also one of the easier SPS

Frogspawn, hammer, torch, candy cane, acan, blasto. Are all hardier LPS with nice colors. And if you can find them in frags they are usually inexpensive.

Back