beginner corals

Do you have the proper lighting ??? If so start with softies like Pink Star Polips or Green, Maybe some toadstools or Mushrooms.

Softies are always fun, but as others have said, make sure you keep an eye on them or you may regret it one day when you have a xenia only tank. You can find some LPS for pretty cheap sometimes...frogspawn, torch corals, etc. They will provide some nice movement and are not invasive.

Yep. With t5's, i ran 2 14k, 1 true blue, 1 true purple. That is what i ran and it is your choice how you want to set it up. Keep in mined, t5 bulbs should be replaced yearly.

another question how much flow do i need in my tank? i have between 600 and 700 gph from my sump now how much more should i have i read some where that i should have 20 times the size of my tank is this right?

A couple 750s and a 1050 should be good. Dont point them straight at corals, though, aim at glass.

Actinics and daylight T5s should be replaced every 6-9 months, yearly at minimum.

that would be 3000 gph sorry but that seems like alot everything i have read says for a reef tank it should be 20 time the tank size i have a 55 gal so it should be 1100 gph is this info wrong?

You usually dont count your return. 20x is good for softies, but LPS is 30x and SPS is 40x for rules of thumb. I think 30x is a good starting point for a mixed reef.

Ask around, thats a pretty average powerhead setup for a 55.

^What he said!

Those numbers are loose too. I had 70x turn over on my first reef and everything did fine. I think the GPH on the pumps is underrated. As long as all your corals are extending, the more flow the better IMO, but YMMV

Back