Beginner In Need of Help

robertwc1960

Reefing newb
Hello All. I want to set up a FO ( maybe with some plants )marine system, then as I gain knowlege and experience move on to FOWLR and ultimately a reef system. I would very much like some advice on makes and types of equipment I will need. As a start is the Jewel Rio 180 a good tank and suitable for my needs? and how will it have to be upgraded for a marine system? Is there a list anywhere of all the equipment I will need to set up my system?
Many Thanks Robert

Uhhh, well first of FO (Fish Only) is the same as FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock), due to you needing Live rock to maintain your system.
The Rio is a 50 Gallon tank, so not bad, you will need to look into:

https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/choosing-correct-size-tank-t19538.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/choose-your-fish-t27083.html

Those should help you work out a rough cost and the size of you tank, depending on how much you are willing to put into the build and equipment, and which fish you have your eyes set on.

I googled that system:

Juwel Rio 180 Aquarium & Cabinet

It is a freshwater setup. The lighting and filtration aren't what you are looking for in a saltwater setup and wouldn't be sufficient for keeping a reef. I think if you spend your money on that, you will end up spending even more to replace the lighting and filters.

Most of us start from scratch and buy the tank and equipment separately. Lighting for marine aquariums is very specialized, so that has to be bought on its own, as do the filtration systems (usually consisting of a protein skimmer). There are lots of nice all-in-one systems available, but they tend to be smaller (in the less than 30 gallon range) than what you are looking at.

If you are going to buy a tank and stand on its own, I would recommend getting one that is drilled with the overflow installed in it.

If you are going to eventually upgrade to a reef tank i would suggest you get fish that are reef safe. This will save you the trouble of catching a coral nipping fish when you do upgrade. :)

+1 Kelz. I found this out as I was doing my research. In the beginning I planned on a FOWLR system that I'd eventually convert to a full reef but my fish choices didn't reflect that change. I was bummed but I ended up throwing out a lot of the fish (from the list!) that weren't reef capable with one exception. I figured it would be a lot easier in the long run to already have fish that were compatible with corals. Planning ahead is always a plus and I'm learning it's almost a must with this hobby. Good luck on your system and post pics when you can!

By doing lots of research! The more research you do, the better off you and your tank will be! I would start by reading all of the articles and stickies on the site, and then ask questions on the things you dont understand still. I would also start your own thread, you will get more responses that way :)

Lights don't matter for FOWLR tanks, so you'd be fine with the lights that come with the tank. The filtration might prove to be a challenge, but you may be okay with it. That type of filter can lead to high nitrates. You would need more flow than what comes with the tank, so you'd need to buy additional powerheads.

A protein skimmer and sump would be ideal. If you are going to use a sump, you'd need to buy an overflow box to take the water from the tank to the sump, unless the tank is drilled (it doesn't appear to be).

Back