Beginner looking for advice on first tank

gotcountry

Reefing newb
Hey everyone,

To start, this is my first post, and my first look at entering the world of reef aquariums. I have gone scuba diving and seen the amazing creatures that can be found there, and am hoping to be able to see them on a regular occasion in my house!

I have been doing research recently, and am looking at purchasing an established reef tank setup. I do have some questions, and hopefully can get some good advice!

First off, I am looking at two main tanks right now,

one being an 8 gallon biocube that has been established for 2.5 years, and comes with:
- self-contained wet/dry filter containing live rock rubble
-Chemi-Pure Elite, run by a small powerhead
-dual compact florescent bulbs, as well as moonlights.
Livestock consists of:
- 2 shrimp
- pom pom crab, and a brittle star.
corals consist of mushrooms, a few common polyps, star polyps, two leather corals, a hammer coral, and some hurtin' candy cane coral, and orange cup coral.

second being a 33 gallon tank with:
- live rock,corals,a sponge,clownfish,starfish,2 blue fish,shrimp, lots of hermit crabs
- Includes skimmer,fluval,aquaclear and heater.

My questions are these:
- will the 33 gallon be easier for a beginner with regards to water quality?
- are any of the accessories for these aquariums prone to failure/could require an upgrade (added costs that seller may be trying to avoid)?
- both tanks are similarly priced, any recommendations on which you would take?
- does anyone keep a nudibranch in their tank system? Love em, but understand they are carnivorous and hard to feed! - just curious

I think I would prefer the biocube, as it wouldn't take up as much space, but definitely don't want to kill anything due to my lack of experience.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Look forward to getting a tank and being active in the community!

The larger the tank the easier to keep mostly because if something small changes in a small tank it can have dramatic effects, you have to stay on it. Nudibranches are AWESOME.....but not something a beginner should have as advanced aquarists have issues with them

Wait I just saw the fluval....as in a fluval canister filter? Thats an issue. If you get it, dont use it and sell it to someone who does fresh water, they dont work in our systems.

Hello and Welcome!

The 33 will be easier for a beginner to deal with, more water to dilute out mistakes, plus you will be able to put a few fish in there (limit 3) which is much better than the single one the biocube could handle.

Thanks for all the info guys! Will most likely go with the 33g then and give myself a learning buffer!
Youre going to do what we all do and as soon as you fill it up and fall in love with the hobby youre going to think to yourself "oh this isnt going to be big enough...."

Youre going to do what we all do and as soon as you fill it up and fall in love with the hobby youre going to think to yourself "oh this isnt going to be big enough...."
Thats funny because I am about to start building the stand for my 46 but I am building it to the dimensions of a 55!

Hi, Welcome :D

I would recommend the 33 gallon. I have a Biocube 29, and my temps are fluctuating like mad, so a bigger tank should be more stable.
I wouldn't keep so many hermit crabs with corals because the crabs will constantly irritate the corals, and may turn on the other livestock once there is no more algae and detritus.
As with sponges, they are very difficult to keep because of the size of the foods required. Always add sponges to a well established tank with a productive refugium or sandbed.
Also, when transporting sponges, never expose them to air.

Back