beginner questions

ejohnston

Reefing newb
I really want to start up a successful saltwater tank and i have a few questions, ive heard that i should not go smaller than a 50 gallon tank due to ease but i have what i think is a 30 gal, would this be that much harder to maintain? i would like to use this if possible since i already have it. i already have a marineland penguin biowheel 150 B filter, if the 30 gallon would not be much harder to maintain what would be a good secondary filter? (someone suggested a skilter 400) also if i am interested in reef down the road, what would be a good light to support fish and coral? i am in definite need for some professional advice as to what to do and would greatly appreciate any help. thanks

Hi and welcome! A 30 gallon tank will be more challenging than a 50+ gallon tank, but by no means is it impossible. A lot of people start off with a 29 gallon tank and upgrade later on. You can definitely make it work.

Instead of the biowheel filter or skilter, you should look into getting an HOB (hang on back) protein skimmer. The best HOB skimmer out right now that is affordable is the Octopus brand. Check into one of those for your tank. As for lights, a T5 setup would be perfect for a tank that size. And you can keep anything you want under T5s.

Hey thanks alot, so how "less challenging" would a 50 gallon aquarium be? to buy one im looking at 200 dollars that i would not have to spend if i used the 30 or would it just be totally worth it? and thanks for the protein skimmer advice as well, what size octopus would be best for the 30 gal? and 50 gal? thanks again for your help!

also one more thing, if i got the HOB octopus would i still need the biowheel or would the protein skimmer be it for filtration?

Last edited:
well for a skimmer i have THIS one on my 75 and it works great. the small the tank is the harder it is to keep the water stable. bigger tanks offer more water to dilute mastakes that we may make when adding additives or changing water. as for filtration all you really need is about 1-2 pounds of live rock in the tank and a good skimmer. (this is the only filtration i have in my tank and the water is perfect.)

The difference between a 30 gallon and a 50 gallon besides the measurments,is that extra 20 gallons of water to dilute OUR mistakes.But I kept a 30 in fairly good shape for the first year I was in the hobby and I'm sure you wouldnt any trouble with a 30.
Stay away from those skilter filters.Their not worth the plastic their made from.
And welcome to the site.

If you go with another tank, I'd suggest a 55, or anything 4 feet long. The reasoning is, when you decide to upgrade (and you will! lol), the 4 foot light will fit on any tank up to 120 gallons. So find a cheap, used 4 foot tank, put a kick ass t5 light on it, and you are golden!

If you go with another tank, I'd suggest a 55, or anything 4 feet long. The reasoning is, when you decide to upgrade (and you will! lol), the 4 foot light will fit on any tank up to 120 gallons. So find a cheap, used 4 foot tank, put a kick ass t5 light on it, and you are golden!

And I can set you up there,as I have both a 4ft tank and a T-5 light for sale:D

You would be surprised what people sell on Craigslist for cheap :) See if anyone's dumping their larger tank. If you are willing to pay a little extra, a lot of people will sell the tank stand as well. Just be sure to check for leaks before buying it if possible. Maybe fill it up at their place to check.

I agree w/ the bigger tank theory. I have a 10g and a 45. I have to do water changes on my 10g 2-3 times a month to make sure my nitrates stay down. Whereas my 45g only requires maybe 1 water change a month, and that's just to replenish trace elements. It's definitely easier for a tank to crash if it's smaller. You just have to be on top of things.

And if you can't afford to stock your entire tank with live rock, you can buy one or 2 good pieces of live rock ($5-8/lb usually) and for the rest, just get base rock (which is WAY cheaper--$1-2/lb) for the rest.

Back