beginner

umphlettm

Reefing newb
:bounce: hello everyone. i have not started a saltwater tank yet but hope to within the next few months. i have a few things im not to sure about such as cycling, the water quailty (nitirate etc). ive done some research but need more information before i start. any information for beginners tank sizes etc. would be helpful. also im not on a "strict" budget but at the same time im not "well off". thanks for any info.

umphlettm.

welcome to living reefs. there's a helpful articles tab at the top of the page that should cover the cycling part pretty well. a lot a people start out with a 30 gallon, but it's a matter of person preference. typically the bigger the tank, the more stable parameters will be. you won't have as much salinity swing as water evaporates and such. hope this helped

Welcome to the site!
Check the ''Helpful Articles'' at the top.It will explain many aspects of this hobby.At anytime,you have more specific questions,feel free to ask.

Welcome to Living Reefs. The people here are great. And most can help you with any "specific" question you have. But not me. I'm just here for the people. ;)

Welcome to livingreefs..... Remember if you really want to get into this hobby seriously buy a bigger tank now and save yourself some $ in the long run. I started with a 24 gallon then went to a 55 gallon now im at a 75 gallon and I cant wait until I can afford a 120-180 gallon

i believe i might go with the 75g. thanks for the info. by the way im sure theres gonna be alot more questions down the road.

umphlettm

if you have the space and the money, don't fart around with a nano cube or weak 20 gallon tall. If you are really into it and love what you see in public aquariums - GO AS BIG AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. I daily regret not getting the 180 I was looking at when I started 2 years ago. I read about Winyfrog getting her blue-faced angelfish and I cringe, knowing I could have one and a french angel if ONLY I had gone bigger. You need to have limits, obviously. Don't break the bank, but if you are tied between two different size tanks - GET THE BIGGER ONE!!! You won't be disappointed when you see a picture of a Regal Tang and want to keep one for life and realize your 55 gallon is just not going to cut it for more than 2 years. I understand that some people just don't have the money or the space and are doing wonderful things with as large as they can go. Bigger tanks are WAY more forgiving with water parameters as well. Just my :twocents:, but I recently hurt my back and have taken 2 somas and I am not my normal self.....:shock:

Welcome anyway

-Dr Marco :sfish:

That's why I started with a 55. I didn't want to jump right into saltwater with too small of a tank. When I do decide to go larger I'll just pass the tank to my sister. That will be a few years yet. Just beginning to understand what it takes to keep a healthy tank.

Back