Being a clownfish, could it be worse?

ndepratt

Equipment Junkie
So in the evenings I work at a fine dining italian restaurant, and I'm the new guy. (Had to quit the LFS, obviously)

So I meet the girl, and she mentions going to a sale that a local pet store had. This got maybe 5% of my attention.

Then she says, "I bought a fish." she's got 50% of my attention, I'm now making salads much slower.

Then she says: "I got a clownfish!" - 100% attention.

Now let me tell you this: I know a few things about saltwater, and I'm quite obsessed. Afterall, I carry business cards for my business in my pocket....

So I sit my stuff down, and politely say: "So you have a tank?"

"No, I'm picking it up tomorrow."

Now, at my last LFS job, they called me Jesus... as I could never tell a lie, and always tell someone what my opinion is, even if my opinion is that they shouldn't buy the item with the large mark-up.

So in my typical matter of fact voice I say (with all the other servers around us): "Your fish is going to die."

Awkward pause. "But he's in my friend's tank, I'm going to get my aquarium tomorrow."

I paused for a second... and said: "The clownfish you bought was very small, wasn't he?" (she said yes) and I said "I know... because my very good friend is the person who bread that clownfish. He hand delivered that particular batch of clownfish last week to that store. And the parents of that clownfish, they came from MY aquarium..... you can't buy a fish for a tank you don't even have." And I handed her my business card.

LOL. I found that ridiculous.... I hate being a jerk... but I HATE when people don't think about of a fish's needs before their own. I just really upsets me... I once had fraternity brothers pour drano and lysol into my 55g reef, I was appalled at how people don't think about the wellbeing of a fish.

I did later apologize, I told her that if she needed help caring for the fish, or anything like that, to just let me know.

This also gets me onto the topic of bad LFS's... I could write a novel.

oh my freind if i had a nickle for every time i heard someone in that same situation. ugh.

I think if i were to call you anything it would be Washington. I mean Jesus is obviously not going to tell a lie. hes god (or son of or just a dude depending on your viewpoint) afterall George Washington was the human most famously known for saying I cannot tell a lie. but I will accept Jesus too.

what happened with you and the LFS you worked at? Sorry if you mentioned it before...just curious.

i def feel what you're saying. Ignorance stupidity really pisses me off.

Good thing you were there, to possibly keep another fish from dying, and teach someone on how to properly care for a fish...sounds like she was going to treat it as a fw fish...just put it in the water 24hrs after filling...
I guess your nickname "jesus", still stands...you were that clownfishs' guardian angel.lol

right there with ya dude! :beerchug: :beer: :h5:

IMG00006-20090426-0056.jpg

what happened with you and the LFS you worked at? Sorry if you mentioned it before...just curious.

i def feel what you're saying. Ignorance stupidity really pisses me off.

The LFS I worked for is supposedly the best LFS in KC. They get the best stuff, that's true, but as soon as it gets in it's starting to die.

That's not what killed me... I pride myself in setting people up with what I believe is truly the best that they can afford, or for whatever they are planning to keep. I would get sent out to do installs, and show up with a a terminator 2 skimmer, with a POS replacement pump, and have to tell the people that this skimmer would get them tank of the month on the local boards. I would have to shut my mouth while my boss lied to someone about an old UV he bought for $25, because I knew it wasn't a 149.99 UV.

So that made me sick.... here's another example: how can a 110g freshwater setup using a reef ready tank, and a simple 20g sump with a $90 sumbmersible pump cost you $986 WHEN the people already had the tank, stand, and canopy, and install cost is only $150. Or how can a 4' 150g tank cost $6700 just to have installed.

So me and a friend decided to set up our own store in Lawrence, KS. Due to the economy and our being tagged us a luxury business, we got turned down. So one day I decided to just do an install and maintenance business, and then decided to go online.

I quit the LFS, and the owner was fine, thinking I was just doing installs. He was a bit upset, but didn't think I would be a problem.

Then I became a sponsor on the local boards, debuted my site, and all hell broke loose.

He immediately had a 25% off sale, and swore to match any local/internet price. AND teamed up with the other LFS's to have my internet business kicked from being a sponsor, claiming I was a wholesaler)

They all claimed I was trying to undercut them, not allow them to be able to make enough money to pay their employees, and eventually drive them out of business.

So I got the chop, AND, if my business is mentioned in any way on the boards that I have a connection to, I get banned.

The KC saltwater community is super dramatic. The mods who run the site, are best friends with the LFS owners, and even help them finance their orders.

sucks to hear that. I hate drama. glad you made it here. little to no drama here. an occasional AK native joins and kicks up dust but other than that we are drama free (most know what im talking about lol)

holy crap it was an information overload. Almost felt like we all just needed to dial into a conference call to hear what he had to say haha

i wonder if he has viewed his apartment building on google street view. ill bet he would damn near shit his pants if he saw that.

Back