Bengaii Cardinal Activity...mating?

jamespias

Paranoid Reefer
So I've had a pair of BC's for about two months now. They generally hang out in opposing corners of the tank, but don't act aggressively. Two days ago I saw one of the fish chasing the other one, but it seemed to stop after about 30 seconds. Now one of the fish stays in its "normal spot," but the other one is "hiding," in corners of the tank. The hiding fish also doesn't seem to be eating. Could they have been mating? I don't see any outward signs of sickness, no parameters have changed in my tank, and I haven't seen the aforementioned aggression since. Any other Bengaii owners out there?

I have heard that you can't keep two unless they are a mated pair. They may be the same sex and it sounds like the dominant one is going to win out.

I knew about the aggression thing between like sexes, so when I ordered them I specifically asked for a bonded pair. I was told I had one, but I found the smaller of the two dead today upon coming home from work...so sad and frustrating! I would never have put two of them in my tank if I didn't think they were a pair. I had my suspicions for a while now that they weren't bonded, but I chalked it up to my own paranoia. Now the fish paid the price...

Even if fish are bonded doesn't mean they'll stay that way upon rehoming. Maybe they fought on the way to your house LOL Kidding. Honestly, fish are individuals like people...you never know how things turned out.

Where did you order the fish from? You really don't know if they're bonded until you see for yourself.

I got them from my LFS. Honestly, he didn't charge me enough, and that should have been my first sign. I really only wanted this fish as a pair, however, and only having one is getting in the way of my plans :)

Are you sure they were even the opposite sex? LOL I think the male has a longer dorsal fin than a female. Not sure if there's a size difference.

From what I have read it is near impossible to tell if they are opposite sex...aside from one not killing the other. They definitely were a bit different in appearance, but I suppose it doesn't matter now.

Back