Best 10g Setup Possible

earman88

Reefing newb
Howdy LR. I was wanting to build a new 30g setup, but I am still in a temporary home for the next few months so I am just going to try to improve my 10g (almost 6 months old now).

So my question is, what is the most I can do to it to completely pimp it out, aka pristine water clarity/conditions and a coral/anemone machine (maybe just one small anemone).

BTW I have 4 fish: clown, firefish, damsel, yellow watchmen goby. Then one pistol shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 snails, 1 red hermit, and a bunch of tiny blue leg crabs.

Right now it just has the stock light which I plan on replacing with a marineland reef capable LED on.

It also has a stock 10g aqueon filter. I have another identical 10g aqueon setup that is vacant. Maybe I could use it as a sump?

Any ideas/suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Oh my. Hmm, I would say if you are looking for pristine water conditions you should get rid of the clown and the damsel. I know you're not going to like that suggestion though. But 4 fish in a 10 gallon is rough my friend. Reeeeeal rough.

yeah, 4 probably is too much, but since the goby is always in a tunnel dug by the pistol shrimp, he really never takes up aquarium space up top, so it seems like the other 3 fish have plenty of room. IDK though, the fish waste/nitrate-production might be too much huh?

Sarah is right, 2 would probs be your max. Remember these guys are supposed live in the ocean. ;)

If your going to get a nem, id suggest you wait until you get the 30, and then you would have to wait about a year. Those things will die in a new tank if you look at them the wrong way because they cant even handle the slightest change in water quality.

In a 10 it might be too risky because you need to constantly top off with fresh and that salinity swing WILL hurt the nem, and its really not worth nuking a tank just to have it.

There are corals that will keep your clown occupied, that dont hold as much risk

Mini fuge in the little filter wouldnt be a bad idea either :)

Best of luck!

And a 10g is really too small for a damsel - they need more swimming room.

Also, if you aren't using RO/DI water already, you could switch to that. To really get your 10g up to par, add another powerhead or two for more flow beyond just your HOB filter, and you can make the HOB filter into a small refugium w/ rubble and chaeto. Upgrading your light will be an improvement, as will reducing the number of fish and adding coral.

Alright, thanks for the tips y'all. Can anyone point me to further literature on the 'refugium' idea, as well as the RO/DI?

:)

I'd focus on adding corals and pass on the anemone for a tank that size. There are tons of awesome corals that you could buy to "pimp out your tank" (LOL) that are much easier to keep than anemones. Do you have any coral in it right now?

Oooh, have you checked on the duncan coral, I think they are so much more fun than an anemone. And much more forgiving!
You're getting the marineland reef capable led? I love mine, great light!
Post some pics when you can, would love to see!

Yeah I am hoping the light upgrade will really make my corals take off.
And wow... the Duncan coral is sweet! I will definitely look into it. I'll post some pics soon.

Back