best choice for fish food selection

grozier

something smells fishy
What is the best choice when it comes to feeding fish? Right now I'm feeding P.E. mysis shrimp soaked in Garlic. What else is good for them? will they eat silver sides? I tried searching for the answer, but wholy crap there are pages and pages of different ideas.
Any help would be nice.

I personally have a custom food mix I made myself
Raw table shrimp
Filter Feeder food, freeze dried
Scallops
Oysters
Nori Sheets
Garlic Cloves

Blended in the blender (when wife wasn't home:mrgreen:) then frozen in plastic baggies.

However, a variety is the best
Mysis
Silver sides
Squid
Oysters
Nori

Just switch it up every feeding

Another thing I wanted to ask is, I leave for work at 630am and of course the lights are off so feeding is out of the question. So I feed them when I get home at 330pm, should I feed again a little later? Feeding frozen foods makes it a little hard to use a auto feeder.

For most fish, once a day is fine.
If you have a mature tank, with lots of live rock, and a low bioload, you can get away with feeding less often.

For example, I have a 30 gallon tank with only two clowns and tons of LR.
It has been set up for years, if you don't count the recent move.

I feed twice a week. Fish are fine, they are always picking pods off the live rock.

I use a schedule:
Monday is Mysis
Tuesday is Emerald Entree
Wednesday is Lifeline Carnivore
Thursday is Marine Cuisine
Friday is Formula One
Saturday is Mysis
Sunday is cleaning day

Thats for clowns, so if you had a more herbivorous fish, you might want to use Formula Two instead of F1 and use things with less protein and more spirulina or algae, etc...
Ive found my schedule to be very good for me, but it is one of many. Best advice is to find what the like the most, 1-2 things, and build a varying schedule around that. You dont really need 5-6 different things like I have, but a decent variety is good. Just like us, fish need (and want) different foods in their diet.

I use a schedule:
Monday is Mysis
Tuesday is Emerald Entree
Wednesday is Lifeline Carnivore
Thursday is Marine Cuisine
Friday is Formula One
Saturday is Mysis
Sunday is cleaning day

Thats for clowns, so if you had a more herbivorous fish, you might want to use Formula Two instead of F1 and use things with less protein and more spirulina or algae, etc...
Ive found my schedule to be very good for me, but it is one of many. Best advice is to find what the like the most, 1-2 things, and build a varying schedule around that. You dont really need 5-6 different things like I have, but a decent variety is good. Just like us, fish need (and want) different foods in their diet.

Kyle and BJ got it right with feeding a varied diet. I rotate between several flake foods, pellet foods and frozen foods. And doing a custom mix of fresh seafood or using an off the shelf mix like Rod's Food is good to offer that variety in a single feeding.

I recently started using New Era Marine Pellets and the fish LOVE it! I hated it at first because it immediately sank to the ground like a freakin rock. Until i was advised by a friend to run it through the blender. I put it in my magic bullet and ended up with a nice mix of sizes from small pellet to fine powder. Now when i put it in the tank it broadcasts everywhere. Some sinks (slower), some hangs in the water column and some sits on top of the water surface. And the fish go nuts.

Unless you have anthias or other fish that require multiple feeds per day you are fine with once a day or once every other day.

Back