Best cleaners crew

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

What is the best crew that is MUST for a reef tank?
Is there a snail that cleans the glass like or better than the turbo snail? (Cause i hate when they turning upside down and needs to be fixed)

Thanks.

reefcleaners.org is a great place to get the CUC from and John is great to deal with and always throws a few extra in your order...:D

Please don't buy one of those per-packaged cleaner crews. Pick a few at a time when you visit your LFS. Or if ordering online,add a few in with your fish and coral orders.
most of those package deals are alright,in an already established tank.But at the same there too much for a newer set-up that may not have the waste and algae the creatures need.
To start out with:
10 of the saltwater nerites
5 hermits
5 trochus snails

+5 Yote
start out slow and build your CUC along side your reef build. some folks say 4-5 snails per gallon but that really applys to thanks that are older and need the advanced CUC's out there.

I agree with Yote for sure, I still ordered from reefcleaners, I just didn't order a 60 gallon package, which is the size tank I have, since I knew it would be waaay too many snails. So I think I ordered the 20 gallon package. It was perfect.

Specifically for cleaning the glass, astraea snails are the best. I agree with what others have said -- if you order a package for a new tank, get one for a tank that's half the size. You can add more cleaners as you need them, rather than having a bunch starve to death in a new tank.

Astraea snails are small -- the base of their shells is usually nickel sized and the shell is pyramid shaped, spiraling to the top:

a20792a124893eaa7029ca_s.jpg

Snail.Astrea.jpg

Mexican turbo snails are larger -- usually golf ball sized to soft ball sized and their shells are rounder, spiraling to the side:

mexican-turbo-snail.jpg

141_IMG1570_1262918895.JPG

Back