best color out of sps corals

nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
I bought a blue aropora at a frag swap a while ago. When I first got it, it was bright blue in color, but over time it has turned brownish with a blue glow. I do notice that is is doing very well and growing 2 mm a week with fully extended polyps. I also notice that the tips of new growth are blue in color like the whole coral used to be. why has it changed color?

I looked at an sps color guide and it said to dose with luiges concentrate which consists of iodine to get the best blue colors. Should i dose with iodine?

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/

oh and by the way, it sits right under my 20k mh at the upper portion of the tank right by a korolia and getting 7w per gallon of light.

Don't dose anything, iodine included, unless you test for it and know the recommended levels to keep.
SPS browning out is usally a result of high phosphate (do you run any phosphate removing media?), high nutrients (what kind of skimmer do you have?), poor flow or poor lighting (generally 20k bulbs are very "weak" in output).

Back