Best kind or setup for corals mostly

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So I want to set up a tank for mostly corals, but kind or tank should I go with, I want to go cheap so I can spend money on the corals, can anyone point me to cheap setups that will work great for it?

Thanks,
Matt

What kind of corals are you primarily interested in keeping rics/zoas and softies, LPS or SPS? That is the main deciding factor

also I was wondering if it's cheaper to use one of those plastic or w/e bins that LFS use that you just look over the top at.

LMK, thanks, if anyone has anything LMK also

There isn't a specific setup that's the best for corals, but you can buy products that are better for corals. For a mostly corals tank, the most important pieces of equipment will be lights. A good skimmer is secondary, since you said you will have little or no fish in it. You could basically use anything you wanted.

I do not know of any way to do cheap reefing, especially with corals. Perhaps you should define cheap. I consider a 120 gallon set up compete and ready for fish with out controllers or electronic monitors cheap at $7500. Controllers and monitoring/testing equipment add nother $2500. Of course there are also the fans/chillers, RODI filters, quarantine tanks, water holding tanks, reference books, live food culturing systems and then the corals. $12000 to $15000 sounds pretty close to me. I have never been able to figure out how to do cheap reefing, really.

Last edited:
Lagoons are a fun project and make for excellent grow out tanks. Just 2 by 4s and plywood structure to get it off the ground for a gravity fed sump and a EPDM pond liner.

All the surface agitation for gas exchange has to take place in the sump otherwise the rippling on the surface of the lagoon will make it difficult to see whats going on.

i would do a pc or t5 over the bucket that could be on a 3-4 foot standand put mushrroms,zoas,other soft corals ,and my favorite lps(hammer coral). it would be the cheapest frag tyank for lps and lower and u could probaly sell frags on ebay to get extra money for tank/other things

I do not know of any way to do cheap reefing, especially with corals. Perhaps you should define cheap. I consider a 120 gallon set up compete and ready for fish with out controllers or electronic monitors cheap at $7500. Controllers and monitoring/testing equipment add nother $2500. Of course there are also the fans/chillers, RODI filters, quarantine tanks, water holding tanks, reference books, live food culturing systems and then the corals. $12000 to $15000 sounds pretty close to me. I have never been able to figure out how to do cheap reefing, really.

Cheap: less than the amount of disposable income I have on hand:mrgreen:. Nope, it isn't cheap.

Back