Best method to remove paint

RocketSapp

Reefing newb
I just picked up a used tank and it has paint on three of the sides of the tank. I think it used to be a built in tank so even the sides were painted. I want to remove the paint from at least the sides of the tank, what is suggested as the best method of removing the paint?

I want to make sure I don't damage the seals on the tank.

Tim

I just used a paint scrapper with a razor blade on mine when I had to remove paint from it.

It just seemed that a razor blade would increase the chances of the glass being scratched. Since I am not planning on repainting the sides, I am worried about scratches.

Tim

The scrapers worked fine for me and didn't create any scratches on the tank. The package it came in said it was for use on glass like windows and doors.

I used an environmentally friendly paint remover (it was like orangish-pinkish goop) to remove paint from one of my tanks. I was careful to not get it on the edges, and used a blade to scrape the paint off near the seams.

I used an environmentally friendly paint remover (it was like orangish-pinkish goop) to remove paint from one of my tanks. I was careful to not get it on the edges, and used a blade to scrape the paint off near the seams.

I used a similar product to remove old paint from my tank when I rebuilt it.
Just cover the tank's trim with painter's tape so that it does not melt the plastic/glue.
Also, cover the tank's top so that none of the cleaner gets into the tank's interior.

With the product I used, I just sprayed over the paint and spread it around with a sponge.
Then after a few minutes I was able to peel off most of the paint.
I still had to use a scraper on some of the tough spots but it saved me a ton of time.

Just to be on the safe side, I rinsed the heck out of the tank to make sure no residue remained on the glass.

Well, I did not have any chemical paint remover, but I did have about 100 or so razor blades. After about 10 blades and one blister later, all of the paint from the sides have been removed.

It did such a great job I used them to scrape off all the "stuff" from the inside of the tank. I dont think the previous owner of the tank cleaned the glass very often. I have also decided to cut out all the silicone and reseal the tank. So the blades are getting even more use.

Tim

Back