Best non-standard "starter" fish

jb61264

Reefing newb
I am a few weeks away yet, but was wondering, when I am ready, what would be the best non-standard starter fish to add to my tank?

I don't want a damsel or anything "typical"...since I only have a 40 gallon breeder tank that will eventually be packed with corals, I will only have 4-5 fish at the most so I want each of them to be nice...not a typical damsel or something like that.

my vote is sixline wrasse. but they are usually best added last :( they can be aggressive ti later added tankmates, but sometimes there is no problems either. you could do something like a blenny those are not so commom compared to the ol clownfish/damselfish starters and they have a great personality from what I'm told

So that pretty much rules out clownfishes too,right?

Purple firefish are super hardy or anyone of the dartfishes-red,scissortail,helfrichi ect.

So that pretty much rules out clownfishes too,right?

Purple firefish are super hardy or anyone of the dartfishes-red,scissortail,helfrichi ect.

Actually, I will probably have a clownfish at some point...guess I didn't know they are good for starting a tank up...if that's the case, then some cool variation of clownfish will definately make the list for a possible starter fish

I LOVE firefish...again, in my previous experience, I had heard that you have to stick with damsels to start your tank...if that isn't so much the case anymore I also eventually want a firefish...also love blennies...in fact, thought a lawnmower blenny would be great...I had one in my reef 13 years ago and it had SO much character...wasn't the prettiest fish but was also a "function" fish with its "pruning" algae off live rock activity

I have a pair of scissortail dartfish in my tank. They are super cool to watch. Those, firefish or a lawnmower blenny would be fine, I think.

Damsel are thought of as cycling fish so that might be where you got beginer fish. The fish we added are after your tank has cycled they will be easy to care for.

You don't have to start out stocking with damsels.Actually adding a firefish first is the way to go.They are shy and easily intimidated so adding them first will give it time to get comfortable.

There are some clowns that aren't as common-skunk,misbars,black/white ocellaris aren't all that common.If you want to go all out then maybe a picasso clownfish,pricey though.

Blennies are great too-bicolor,lawnmower,redlip.There are some less common species like the tailspot or twinspot blenny that make good additions and functional purposes like you mentioned.

why not start with a pink skunk clown? they are really passive and will get along with any additional fish.

firefish are cool as are potters angelfish. that would be a unique starter fish and potters are not as aggressive as other pygmy angels can be.

a longfin fairy wrasse would look cool and is reasonibly hardy.

Good luck

-Doc

I'd vote for anything captive bred. They are probably more likely to deal with the cycle since they are raised typically in less than optimal conditions as far as water quality due to their density.

You must be doing alot of reading if you're all the way back in Jan.LOL

The purple fire fish are cool though!

Back