Best place to buy media

McCrary

Always Learning
Since I'm new I thought I would start contributing a little. Here is a site that will get you the best carbon and phosphate media.

twopartsolution.com

ROX .08 carbon is often used in labs and is really good. The phosphate media they sell is generic, but has been vouched for by some good guys. Hopefully that will save you some money over the name brand stuff.

I appreciate your research. I recognize that there are many cheaper ways to buy things for our tanks. I am a huge fan of getting tanks and stands cheap.

I also feel good about supporting my local LFS. They need to make a living and they are way nice to me in getting me EXACTLY what I want, when I want it. Returns are super easy as well as opposed to having to dig out the rotting carcass of a fish, pack it in salt and ship it back to some random state I will never visit for fear of lowering my IQ or catching some congenital disease with no cure in sight just by breathing the air. Oops, I went on a bit. Sorry

-Doc

Returns are super easy as well as opposed to having to dig out the rotting carcass of a fish, pack it in salt and ship it back to some random state I will never visit for fear of lowering my IQ or catching some congenital disease with no cure in sight just by breathing the air. Oops, I went on a bit. Sorry

Thanks for reminding me that I need to make a trip to the post office today to mail back my DOA anthias!! :)

I appreciate your research. I recognize that there are many cheaper ways to buy things for our tanks. I am a huge fan of getting tanks and stands cheap.

I also feel good about supporting my local LFS. They need to make a living and they are way nice to me in getting me EXACTLY what I want, when I want it. Returns are super easy as well as opposed to having to dig out the rotting carcass of a fish, pack it in salt and ship it back to some random state I will never visit for fear of lowering my IQ or catching some congenital disease with no cure in sight just by breathing the air. Oops, I went on a bit. Sorry

-Doc

I am a big fan of my LFS as well and I always try to support him first, its tough though as his carbon is washed in phosphoric acid and releases a lot of phosphates back into the aquarium. A lot of people don't know that carbons are given a phosphoric index to categorize how much phosphate they release when they are placed in solution. My LFS carries a carbon that most likely has a phosphate index that is off the chart, lol. It doesn't matter to those with FO or FOWLR systems, but if you have coral, phosphate can be detrimental. It is also nearly impossible to detect without a colorimeter, which are expensive. So most people don't know they have so much phosphate and then they get problems with cyano, nuisance algae (both green and brown) and other stuff.

Hawks12thman- Yes, lol, Arrogant Bastard does rule, I would probably have many more brain cells if it wasn't for that company though, lol.

I knew that about many kinds of carbon. That is why I like to run phosguard just to make sure I am not leeching in any unwanted phosphates. Glad you follow good tank keeping practices.

-Doc

Hawks12thman- Yes, lol, Arrogant Bastard does rule, I would probably have many more brain cells if it wasn't for that company though, lol.[/QUOTE]

Last time Redline ws up here we went to the Rouge spirit distillery/bar. Had a good time. Do you have the jugs of Dead Guy ale there yet?

Is there any difference in carbon?

some can leech phosphates back into your water. It isn't that big a deal if you keep up on water changes and use phosguard

-Doc

Dr Marco- Phosguard would not be one of the phosphate medias that I would use. There has been some discussion about its potential to allow aluminum to be introduced into the tank through its use as a phosphate reducing agent. Granular ferric oxide seems to be a better media, at least as far as I know. There has been some research done on the potential ability of aluminum in trace amounts to harm coral. Although not conclusive, it does suggest enough potential harm to discourage its use by many. The amounts that were presented in the study were minute and could not be linked to coral damage. But companies such as Seachem have disregarded many studies rather than openly doing studies of their own to show trace amounts of aluminum presented by their product have no effect on coral. This has been taken, as an indication by many, that their product may have limitations and could possibly cause problems with some coral. So, I choose not to use medias that could possibly cause harm to my coral. I would probably feel differently if many seasoned aqaurists had not spoken about their issues while using a media such as Seachems. There have been studies definitively showing that aluminum was released, but it has not been concretely linked to coral damage.

Hawks12thman- There is a big difference in carbon quality and it can have very big impacts on a reef tank. ROX .08 is very good and is used by labs for their testing. It is only available from one site and has been recommended by a few chemists for reed tanks. It is very cheap compared to many commercially available carbons. The reason seems to be that they are not having to pay for marketing for the aquatic community as they have a firm foundation in the chemical industry. I don't remember having Dead Man's Ale, I will look for it at my beer specialty place.

Seems like you have done a lot of reading on the subject. I cannot speak to the knowledge you have gained, only the meager three years experience in this hobby, which pales in comparison to some. I have used phosguard exclusively in my reef tanks with no clear evidence that my corals were being wounded. Even difficult corals seem to do well in my tank. Thank you for your insight. I am sure you will do much to contribute in regards to this hobby

-Doc

I have only been in this hobby for 3 years myself and most the information I get is just from reading post made by people who are way more knowledgeable than me. So I don't want to imply that it shouldn't be used by people who are having good success with it. I just thought that people should know about some studies and such that were done on the media. I used Phosguard before reading the studies and never noticed anything wrong my the coral. But I don't like to add variables if something isn't going right in my tank. If I see that my corals aren't doing well I don't want to be thinking to myself that it could be aluminum leeching from the media I am using to reduce phosphates. But some people have had more success than I have and didn't have a tank crash about 6-7 weeks ago, lol.

It is difficult to find "pure" man-made additives to our tanks. Ocean water seems to have a lot of stuff in it that we just can't replicate. I am OK with doing what has been recommended by those who have had it work for them. If aluminum is in phosguard and in my tank, is gets reduced with water changes. If it is in there, it has been in there for three years and ain't done nothin' to it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That is why I don't have a fuge. Everyone seems to love them, me, not so much. If I find a need, I will.

-Doc

Yup, I think if it had any really noticeable effects it wouldn't be used by so many people or produced by a company like Seachem. My friend has been using it for a while and has a tank that blows mine out of the water. So it just depends on the system, but it is still something that I think needs to be considered.

noted. Speaking of your tank, Biff seems to hold you in high regard. So what about your tank? Where are some pics? I always love to see pics of tanks that I know are better than mine, especially from someone who knows so much, as has been attested by others. Don't hold out on us...pics, pics, pics, pic, pics.....

-Doc

I have no idea why Biff holds me in high regard, lol. I think its because I'm a reef geek and am always on RC lurking around the forums or something. I have also worked at a LFS and know what its like to have a 55 gallon tank, seaclone skimmer, HOB filter, 3 damsels and a rock from my yard (this was my first tank). I just started copying the designs of successful tanks and asking a lot of questions. Its amazing what a little knowledge can do.

Here is a link to my thread on RC I started after the crash I had.
Reef Central Online Community - Pictures of my tank after the crash

I have been meaning to get some more photos up of all the new frags I have, but my buddy is in Hawaii so they will have to wait. The really scary thing is that I have to go back to San Fran in a few weeks and leave my tank in the care of a friend.

Oh, that is my 110, so he has a little room to swim around and such. I did feel that it was a lot of fish even for a 110. I think at one point I had 13 green chromis, in that photo I believe there were 9, but not the load has been reduced to three. But they have gotten wise to me and are no longer getting near anything that goes in the tank.

ah, my mistake. A 110 is fine. Great looking fish BTW. For some reason I thought it was a 55. No idea where that came from, DURH.

-Doc

Back