Best Sand Sifting Fish

kilteddj

Reefing newb
People, what is the best fish for keeping my substrate clean and sifted? I have a small algae problem that makes the sand look dirty after around a week and I would like to get to the root of the problem, but for the time being would also like a fish that could take care of the movement of the substrate.

I have heard that the half barred gobies are awesome at doing this job, but have had issues tring to find one at my LFS. Does anyone have any other input?

Cheers in advance, Kilted.

If this is in your 75 gal tank, I would get a sea cucumber instead, specialy if your sandbed is a live sandbed because any creature that sifts the sand only does so to find and eat the life that keeps a sandbed functional.

Chuck

Do you have nassarius snails? I think they are more effective at cleaning the sandbed than fish are. Also, fish that sift sand will deposit the sand elsewhere in the tank. A lot of people that keep them get annoyed with them burying their corals.

you also have to remember that the only reason the animal is sifting the sand is because it is looking for food in the sand, and the food it is eating in the sand is what makes that sand live sand

Back