Best Snails for brown(slightly green) dusk algae on live rock

There isn't really a snail that will eat diatoms. But the good news is, diatoms will go away on their own. Are you using tap water? If so, the diatoms may not go away, as diatoms use silicates to build their skeletons. Silicates are found in tap water and certain types of sand/substrates.

Having a few astraea snails won't hurt though.

John Maloney from reefcleaners says that cerinth snails eat diatoms I THINK. You could check out his site reefcleaners.org to double check for sure.

Yeah my ceriths from John beasted my diatoms on my glass. You can see all the little marks on the glass. They dont like the rocks too much haha

Yeah my ceriths from John beasted my diatoms on my glass. You can see all the little marks on the glass. They dont like the rocks too much haha
You know... You're right. I see my ceriths wallowing in the substrate and on the glass. The nassarius are ALL over, the astreas are on the glass or rock NEVER in the substrate. The nerites are always up top on the glass or above the water line!!!

Mine just go above the water line and hideout under my HOB filter output. They clean glass like a champ. I still razor blade the front to keep it sparkly clean.

Back