Best test kit brand?

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
Afternoon Reefers!
I am going to start cycling my tank soon, was saving some money for some cherry LR and a bit of LS, and I wanted to know what Master test Kits you all find the most accurate? I want to invest my money in good products, not stuff that will have me 2nd guessing

API is good, Salifert is best IMO. They are also more expensive and need to be purchased seperately. But IME they are more accurate and easier to read.

I use API but found if they sit too long they may go bad. I've actually had a new calcium kit that was bad. I usually keep at least 2 of each in case I don't believe what i see. I got a Reefmaster kit once. It was garbage. I don't trust the results from it. I would go with Salifert for the non typical tests or even the common test if you want to pay the price, like Ryan said.

I found API to be a mess and now use Salifert (NO3), Elos (dKH), and a Hanna Checker (PO4). I've got a Hanna Checker on order for Calcium too which I'm pretty excited about.

I don't check Ammonia unless I notice a reason too, and currently I do use an API kit for PH since I've never had a problem with PH.

Last edited:
Back