Best Test Kit?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Where can I get a test kit that includes most of the things we need to look for in a reef?

I got an ammonia and nitrite kit, but thats it so far.

I want a complete test kit that includes the following:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Alkalinity
PH
Calcium
Phosphates
Magnesium

Does anyone make such a kit?

Or am I going to have to buy 3 or 4 kits to get all these tests?

Thanks

You are going to have to buy most of them individually. Which isn't so bad, because you use them up at different rates anyways. The best brand (by far) is Salifert, but those tests are expensive and run AT LEAST $20 apiece. I have Salifert test kits for only the most important parameters in my tank. API and Red Sea make decent and cheaper test kits, but I have had bogus nitrate test kits of both of those brands, so it's a good idea to keep test strips to verify (and test strips should not be your primary test kit either, they are not that accurate).

There are "Master" reef test kits that usually include ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, and pH. But calcium, magnesium and phosphate you will have to buy individually for sure...

The Salifert are considered the best.Any liquid test kit should be fine.I would avoid the quick dip type test.They are highly inccurate.

I use them in the past.If you use them up quick then they are ok.Any moisture or if you touch the tip can throw off the reading.Don't be lazy Hawk!

I use them just for routine checks. I always have liquid test kits on back up to verify in case the strips come out weird looking though. They can be hard to read too. The colors rarely match up to the key.

I want to use them the same way biff does..... just a quick check every day and if its off pull out the liquid kit to verify. I would use my liquid test kit once a week to be safe.

Ive not had any problems with the API kits.
But I always have the LFS test every thing once a month just in case I miss something or a kit goes bad.

I don't meen to high-jack this thread but this is along the lines of the original post.

What brand hydrometer are you guys using. Is the deep six even accurate?

None of them are really that accurate. Spend the $40 and get a refractometer. You have to replace the hydrometers every 6 months or so anyways.

Back