best type of salt

Ok so I'm confused. On Drsfostersandsmith it says that instant ocean and reef crystals are two different salts. But when I search them up they are called instant ocean reef crystals, which is only 1 salt. So what exactly is it?

Ok so I'm confused. On Drsfostersandsmith it says that instant ocean and reef crystals are two different salts. But when I search them up they are called instant ocean reef crystals, which is only 1 salt. So what exactly is it?

There's instant ocean and instant ocean reef crystals. The reef crystals mixes out to a higher cal and Alk level.

So you haven't started using the D-D H2Ocean one yet? I've never heard of it before, is it more expensive?

No…i will be ordering it soon. A 175 Gallon bucket runs $79.99 plus shipping. I'm sure it will be worth it. I spent a lot of time researching it.

Instant ocean(purple box) is basic entry level salt

Instant ocean reef crystals(orange box) has higher calcium and magnesium close to ocean levels but in my opinion too low for good growth.

Hopefully that helps.

Instant ocean reef crystals(orange box) has higher calcium and magnesium close to ocean levels but in my opinion too low for good growth.

Hopefully that helps.

RC has levels that are much higher than even the recommended levels for reef tanks, how is that too low for good growth?

Also, the levels for the D-D salt your talking about measure lower then the RC levels.

RC has levels that are much higher than even the recommended levels for reef tanks, how is that too low for good growth?

Also, the levels for the D-D salt your talking about measure lower then the RC levels.

Unless my Red Sea Pro test kit is extremely faulty I have never ha a box of reef crystals come close to Red Sea Coral Pro calcium and magnesium level. H2Ocean is meant to be higher than RSCP.

According to D-D H2 oceans description from the company their salt measures out like this:

Parameters when mixed to a S.G: of 1.025 @ 25C = 35.5 ppt

dKH 9.3 Range: 8.7-9.8
Calcium (Ca2+)440 Range: 430-460
Magnesium (Mg2+) 1340 Range: 1300-1380

All those numbers are lower then the numbers posted on that link.

I am just going by my personal water tests. When I moved away from RSCP to Reef Crystals I had to start doses my tank weekly. Every salt is going to vary from batch to batch due to settling and the company's storage method.

Back