Best Way to Clean the Glass?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
So I was wondering, what is the best way to clean the smears off of the glass? If there's smears on the inside of an empty tank, will they go away once it's filled? :question:

smears of what? Algae?

If the tank is empty. I'd just use a little bit of vinegar mixed with water and wipe the glass down

Smears like fingerprints and stuff. My new tank was wiped with a wet rag on the inside so now it's really smeary.

Wouldn't vinegar be bad for the tank?

Vinegar is the safest thing to use. I keep a spray bottle with dilluted white vinegar in it :) Stinks, but does wonders for glass! And if you spray a little in the tank, no problems!

I always keep a microfiber clothes next to my tank like the kind you use to wipe off an Ipad or TV screen it does fantastic work and you dont have to use any sprays.

Can diluted vinegar on a rag be used on a running tank? For example, do a water change and drain the water below the area I want to wipe (used tank/hard water stains I thought were cleaned off) then wipe the area with a rag wet with RODI water. Refill tank.

If you have RODI water, I recommend using it to dilute the vinegar. I think it works better with out all the other TDS in the tap water.

Just make sure the smears and prints aren't leftover silicone or other gunk. If it's just greasy finger prints, i wouldn't worry about it. Fill the tank and your first swipe with a cleaning magnet will take care of it.

well, what are you trying to do?

You cant clean the inside of the glass this way once the tank is filled. If you have stuff on the inside of the glass clean it off with a razor blade or premade glass scrubber.

This method will work fine for cleaning the outside or anything that has salt creep on it. Just dip your rag in the solution and wipe away.

Back