Best way to Increasing salinity

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I added some fresh water, and did a couple change outs and suddenly my salinity is down from 1.022 to the lower acceptable range --under 1.021. I mixed some very salty water, shook it hard and poured in a little at a time in the pump chamber but the overall salinity has risen only a little. Also, when a particle of salt shoots out of the pump, the fish will eat it and not spit it out. That's gotta be bad.

Ive heard that salt need to set for 24 hours before being added to a system I think it can be caustic or something.

Just raise it slowly. Instead of topping off evaporated water with fresh water, use salt water. When you do your water changes, use new water with a higher salinity.

When I need to raise mine all I do is make a jug a little stronger then my tank water and use that as my top off water until I get it where I want it. Also make salt water 24 hours in advance.

cant this cause ozmosis shock to fish and inverts i thouht the way to raise salt levels is do frequint waterchangs of a few weeks

Easiest and safest way,is to just top off with salt water.
Your better off raising it over a 2 week period than to raise it all in one or 2 days.

Back