Best way to keep sand clean?

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Back behind one of my rocks I have some debri sitting ontop of the sand. I have two turbo snails and about 7 little hermit crabs. Do I need to buy more turbos? I was just trying to figure out how to clean it up? Thanks

Turbos won't clean your sand, so don't buy any more of those. What you need to get are a few nassarius snails. They live in the sand and do an excellent job of keeping it clean.

Depends on what size they are. If you go for the little ones (about the size of your pinkie nail), get about a dozen. If you go for the big ones (about the size of a quarter), get 3 or 4.

No problem. They are cool snails to watch. You really only see them during feeding time, and as soon as they smell food in the water, they come bursting out from the sand.

When I find a dead spot I blow it around with a small powerhead and let the filters get it. I have a large clean up crew but I can't expect them to do all the work, that is why I got married.

I would also invest in a cheap turkey baster. they work wonders blowing cyano off corals, sand off of where you don't want it, target feeding the few corals that need it or using pressure to mix up the dirty sand.

-Doc

I actually just got ten of the snails. Some small and a few big. I saw them for about 10 seconds until they disappeared in the deep sand. When they come up for food they will have plenty to work on.

great choice. Your sand will look great in just a few days. They seem to like to work at night, tho.

-Doc

did you made sure that you got the nassarius vibex which are the one that has a white shell? some LFS are selling the other kind which has the black shells and IMO those are waste of money. the vibex are the best. i might be wrong or maybe it is just me. maybe someone has experience with the nassarius sp (black shell) and will chime in. but what do i know, i am no expert, i just stayed at the holiday inn last night.

did you made sure that you got the nassarius vibex which are the one that has a white shell? some LFS are selling the other kind which has the black shells and IMO those are waste of money. the vibex are the best. i might be wrong or maybe it is just me. maybe someone has experience with the nassarius sp (black shell) and will chime in. but what do i know, i am no expert, i just stayed at the holiday inn last night.

i agree, the Vibex nassarius snails are the best ones to buy. i have about 15 or so, and my sand bed looks like it did when i put it in the tank. you could also add a sand sifting starfish if you dont have any fish that will eat them.

I also have some nassarius snails that have brown tiger striped shells. Those guys work well too, although I don't know what species they are.

Back