Best way to kill Colonial Hydroids?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Yep, I got'em and they are spreading. I've heard that kalk paste is good but won't that affect alk? Anybody killed them off successfully?

If you can, id take the rock out and remove it. Otherwise id cover them with Aiptasia X, and then cover the area with putty. And then cover it with superglue. And then kill them with fire :)

Kinda what LF said.....id blast them with everything i had, kalk paste, aptasia x and well, SUPERGLUE them bitches to death. Anything you can think of sen....but take the rock out asap if you can to handle it before it goes out of control.

The only way to get rid of those hydroids is to completely remove the rock their on.
I know James has been fighting them as long as I've been a member of this forum and I fought them for over 2 years myself.
Tried kalk paste,Aiptasia-X,Super Glue Gel,Epoxy.Nothing worked.

i used joes juice, it didnt kill aiptasia very well bit it loved those hydroids.

the thing is you have to use A LOT, everytime i was done killing aiptasia, i would empty the syringe on the offending rock. So far so good, the joes juice hardened into coraline.

did i test kh.... no lol but it did work and my fishies are still swimming

I use kalk paste on Majanos, never heard of it working on colonials. I'll tell you the same thing I told James a couple weeks ago when he called me. The only way I have seen it work, is to pull the infected rock and boil it. Do one rock at a time. Boiling it will kill everything on it, so you don't want to do all at once. I also had a buddy that would pull the rock, and squirt the boiling water directly at the pest, and that seemed to work as well.

There are also some snails that are supposed to eat these, though I have not seen any good supporting evidence of it, nor can I remember the name of the snail since the info provided was given to me by only one source.

Interesting, I have never heard of snails (or anything) eating them. From my experience, there is no way to get rid of them without killing the rock off as well. They are that difficult to deal with.

Interesting, I have never heard of snails (or anything) eating them. From my experience, there is no way to get rid of them without killing the rock off as well. They are that difficult to deal with.

Nor had I, until one knuckle head said it to me. Granted, he was an LFS owner, but still a knuckle head. That is why I tried to word it very carefully.

This reminds me of the time some idiot on here tried to say you go buy nudibranches that would eat them. Im sure there are nudibranches that will eat them, but the chances of finding them are slim to none.

This reminds me of the time some idiot on here tried to say you go buy nudibranches that would eat them. Im sure there are nudibranches that will eat them, but the chances of finding them are slim to none.

Well not sure where you live but nudibranchs are very easily found here in IL at any LFS.

Back