Best Way to Program Lights?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
So, I'm going to get a fixture with MH, T5, and LED moonlights. So I was wondering how I would coordinate them. I want it to start with the t5 in the morning then turn on the MH later then in the evening the MH goes off again. Then at night the t5 goes off and the LEDs come on.

I guess I could use 3 different timers but that would be kinda inaccurate.

What do you guys suggest?

What do you mean, "inaccurate"?
That's what I would do. T5 on one, MH on the other, and moonlights on the third.
If you had to, moonlights can stay on all the time as they won't effect the rest.... not bright enough. Are all t5 on one switch? I had two of my four t5's come on first, then the other two, then my MH. Opposite in the evening. Each timer was about a half hour apart.

Okay I'll just use timers.

Would the LEDs being on all the time effect their lifespan much? I mean instead of lasting 5 years they would last like 2 or 3?

No. LEDs would'nt effect anything as far as I know. My MH's come on @ 8:30am, then my actinics come on @ 1:00pm (to simulate hotest point of the day), then my MH's turn off @ 3:00pm, then my actinics stay on til 8:00pm. After that, the lunar lights stay on all night. My corals love it.

I don't think you have to worry about the lifespan of the 1 Watt LED moonlights, its probably longer than you'll own the fixture, even running 24x7x365

Depends on the fixture. Check with the manufacturer.
If it's marineland or some other lower end fixture I'm going to guess not replaceable but that's just a guess.

Back