Better bulbs

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Well, got my Odyssea T5HO light today and I love the way it looks. It came with two actnics and two 10k white lights. When I'm all finished I want a nice reef tank going so wanted to know are these the bulbs I want in it or should I change them for something else? The color looks pretty good as it isn't "too blue." I don't want it too blueish and would like to keep it sort of bright but still provide the lighting the corals/fish will need.

Those are fine bulb colors for your tank. Some people like a more blue tank, so they have more blue bulbs than white, and you can also add a pink bulb which can bring out another range of colors.

But most bulbs need to be changed out every 9 months or so. The stock bulbs might need to changed out a little sooner though.

How many bulbs in the fixture and what wattage? Over a 75g you'll want to have at least a fixture that will house 6x54W T5's. The color choice is a personal preference, but those bulbs in the fixture work just fine.

Well it's a 4x54w setup for 216 total. I posted a few posts about it and got a general thumbs up for having softies and LPS so I got it. I am looking into a metal halide but they are out of stock for the one I want right now.

call reefgeek.com and tell them what you want your tank to look like as far as color and they will help you out alot

I love my ATI purple bulb, I really dont like the blue look either. The purple brings out all the colors nicely, appears very bright but doesnt wash the colors out to all look the same.

Just as a heads up that fixture comes with "blue bulbs" not true actinics. I believe they are like 460's stock. You may consider getting at least one actinic bulb to replace a 460. Either would work fine im sure but I like having at least 1 actinic bulb in mine

Yes, that is them. You only need one purple plus bulb.

I actually plan on adding another 2 bulb fixture to mine and have the 2 purple plus bulbs on one fixture so that I can have the purple only dusk/dawn feature.

I saw a blog where someone did this and it looks SO awesome

Back