beyond frustration...

Sounds good. Freshwater bulbs last longer for plant growth, ours dont unless theyre really high quality (ATI, Giessman). If yours are stock bulbs, they probably arent too good. Thats where I would start. Bulbs and snails. Good luck! : )

What are you calling a cube of food?

Most cubes of food are an inch long and about 3/4 in wide, and 1/2 tall.

A flat of food is 7-9 inches long and 5-7 in long. Im almost sure this is what you are calling a cube of food because 40ish pieces of mysid shrimp would make up a whole cube of food.

And yes, that is a lot of food. It would be much healthier for the fish if there were fed twice a day at 5 pieces each time. I would also teach them to eat from a turkey baster that way you have less waste.

And just to check, you arent keeping the thawed food for more than two days right? im not sure how you are dipping your spoon in several times.

Well, i am referring to the cubes that are about 1/2" big in all directions, not flats. I do reuse the thawed food for awhile, should i not?

no, you shouldnt be using the thawed food for more than two days.

And are you sure you are feeding mysid shrimp, not brine shrimp? Brine shrimp are really tiny and well known for contributing to water quality issues.

My cubes are anywhere from 1/4"-1/2" depending on the kind (I use 5 kinds) and I do 1/4 cube regardless for my one clown, CUC and corals.

I feed with a saltwater multi-pack, the cubes have both brine and mysis and plankton and more. I am sure the fish get about 10 shrimp everytime i feed.

Well, i am referring to the cubes that are about 1/2" big in all directions, not flats. I do reuse the thawed food for awhile, should i not?

If you are referring to the small cubes and they are lasting you a month each, then yikes, your fish probably are starving! I have 2 fish in my tank and feed about 1/3 of a cube every other day (I also have 2 cleaner shrimp, a crab, a large feather duster, and several coral as well, otherwise would feed probably closer to a 1/4 cube every other day). The cubes I use are about 1/2" size cubes also. You can take a knife and cut a little piece of the frozen cube off and then dissolve it in a little dish of tank water, then suck up the liquid with a turkey baster (under $5 at any grocery store if you don't have one) and release the liquid into the tank. You don't need to thaw a whole cube to use a part of it. Also, I do believe frozen food can go bad after a few months - not sure how long you've had yours but you might want to pick up some fresh stuff if possible (maybe someone else can chime in on this).

As for lights, my understanding is that as light bulbs age, the wavelengths they emit shift. So a lightbulb that put off 10000k when it was new might begin putting off more red wavelengths as it ages, contributing to algae growth (plants grow better around 5000k I believe). This is one of the reasons that cyano issues can in part be due to old lights. Most lightbulbs need to be replaced about every 6mo, which is why many people have gone to LEDs - although they have a much higher initial cost, they use less energy and you don't have to replace bulbs.

In terms of RO/DI, you can buy an RO/DI unit for around $125 - check out bulk reef supply. If you are buying water from Walmart and doing the normal 10-20% weekly water changes, then you probably easily spend $100 in water in a few months time - why not just make your own instead? It will save you money in the long run.

As far as a clean up crew, you want to try to get a mix of snails - nassarius to help sift your sand, cerith, nerite, turbo snails (these are the really big snails, aim for about 1 for every 10g), astraea. The turbos are particularly good at eating GHA. Just to give you an idea, this is what my GHA looked like when my tank was new before I added turbos; once I added the turbos, it was gone within a few days and it has never come back!

Thanks for the all the info. I am definately not getting an RO filter right now. I still live with my parents and they do not want another one hooked up right now, plus i wanted to have the RO unit to drain into a big water holding tank so that when i wanted lots of it all at once, it'd be there. The holding tank we priced is expensive. So I will continue to buy water until my home is built, we plan to start building in october.

Meanwhile, i have no turbos at all, so that and emerald crabs is where I am going next along with replacing the bulbs.

As for my fish food...i dont think my fish are starving b/c they look like theyre still growing and gaining mass...however they do act hungry all the time. I dont think i feed too much b/c ive back off a lot b/c of the algae problems, now u tell me im not feeding enough...thats just going to increase the algae!! Hopefully the lights and turbos will take care of it and then i can start feeding more.

If the algae is long like in fishy's picture then you probably wont get snails to touch it, you will have to trim it down close to the rock the the snails will finish the rest..

+1 Marcah - even if they do touch it (which mine did), they will eat it from the base and then you'll have loose algae strands floating all over your tank! After repeatedly getting powerheads full of loose strands, I finally trimmed it and they ate the rest of it in a day.

I have a 29G and I have conquered algae. There is so much talk about nitrates but phosphates are the greater challenge. It only takes 0.25 ppm of phosphates to start killing corals and grow algae. Phosphates are a big cause of cyano.

I'll bet your algae is almost all caused by phosphates. To confirm this, get a phosphate test at your LFS.

In our hobby there are 2 generally accepted ways to get rid of phosphates: a big fuge with cheato or a phosphate reactor.

A hang on back with phosgaurd will not be enough. You need a real phosphate reactor running granular ferric oxide. If you use cheato, it must have strong flow and strong light. I use a fuge with cheato.The fuge is about 1.5 G and it has a flow rate of over 300 gph. I would use 40 watts of florescent light on the cheato.

I'll bet your bulbs are fine.

Last edited:
I think at this point, you should test your tank for Phosphates as well, just for peace of mind. But again, consider getting your water tested by the lfs, in case your test kit is bad. Like I said, I had a "brand new" test kit that gave bad results from day 1...a side-by-side comparison with the lfs' test kit and another newly opened pack showed my kit was a bad one.

Yes I was considering getting a phosphate reactor, or turning my sump into a chaeto haven. I used to have chaeto but it didnt do well...now i know why, it needs light and flow. I now have left over lights from when i tried the algae scrubber, so i could easily turn my little sump into a refugium and that would probably be cheaper than getting a phosphate reactor. I will def consider this when i go to the lfs today, ive known all along that this is part of the problem... but i might as well change my bulbs anyways, they are 7-8 months old and ive been wanting to switch them anyways b/c before i bought 2 50/50 bulbs and i dont like them as much, i want 1 10,000K and 1 actinic and then i'll just overlap them sometimes with the timer. I am sure turbos will help to since ive never had any in this tiny tank (i did in my old 90 gal) and that isnt much cost to see if they help. THank you all!!

Well everyone,

I am very pleased with the combination of ideas you all provided me and I am confident my tank is now on its way to looking amazing! LFS tested my water with a brand new phosphate kit and it came back .25. I now have a phosphate reactor with ferric oxide, brand new light bulbs (which look amazing actually!) 3 new turbo snails and a cleaner shrimp! Did a water change on my tank and sucked all the GHA and cyano from my sand bed and my tank looks awesome now! Thank you so much everyone for all of your help!

One week later...and everything is still doing good at the moment. I haven't retested my phosphates yet b/c i forgot to do it before i did a water change to see what the phosphate reactor was able to remove on its own. I am going to retest in a week to see how it looks with the reactor and the water change i just did. Still getting a little cyano but its super light and spotty so i think its going away. The turbo snails looks great in my tank and they have been cleaning the rocks mostly. The new bulbs are great too, I think i did need them, it def looks better! Thank you all!

Back