BFFs Death Pact

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
Ok, I am starting to get frustrated. :frustrat: I currently have 2 clowns and 1 hippo tang in my entire 125 tank. This seems like a waste of space and could do with some more fish. However, over the last year, I have tried to introduce some other fish. They all introduce very well, no sign of illnesses, eating well, and swimming out and about with everyone else. However, after a few weeks (6-8) the new kid(s) on the block go into hiding, stop eating, and eventually die. :grumble: Their bodies show no sign of illnesses or injuries. All my parameters are great, nice and stable, no temp swings, stray currents, or other abnomalities. And my clowns and tang are perfectly fine with no changes in behavior. I am beginning to suspect these three BFFs have made a pact to protect their little reef.....to the death of all others. :death: Is this possible? I have not witnessed any obvious bullying or chasing, even after dark. Why is EVERY new fish just a visitor for a short while? Should I trade in this trio and start over?

I have tried to introduce:
mimic tang
decorated rabbit (2)
anthias
kole tang
lieutenant tang
clown goby
tiger goby(2)

Sounds like it could be bulling, i would get the fish you want, rearrange rocks day of addition and put a few mirrors and see if that keeps them from noticing there is a new fish.

I've jest never SEEN any bullying. The trio doesn't even show any interest in new additions, aggressive or passive. They just don't seem to care.

How do you acclimate them? Is it possible that water is poisoned in some way and it came on gradually so the other fish were able to adjust? I just doubt that three "peaceful" (unless you have a more aggressive kind of clown) would be killing every fish that you would put in there. Fish have the tenancy of being aggressive in a tank too small (hippo tangs need 180 gallons), but still, it's very strange.

got kinda of stupid question but, how big are the tank mate's compared to the fish you added?? and some food for thought, I watched my tomato clown kill a firefish in 4 minute's, needless to say he got replaced with a mated pair on maroon's but damage done...

The clowns need to go, they are territorail and in the Damsel family, just mean. My damsels attack my arm when I m in the tank no problem. Just net them and move them to the sump and see how they like that!

Does it matter that I've never seen any aggression from them? They aren't aggressive towards me, and they don't chase any of the new comers. BTW, I try to choose fish that are a little larger than the ones I have to reduce the chance of bullying.

Important question: how many hiding places are there in the tank? I've seen a lot of tanks with no real hiding places at all. Without many hiding places fish will get stressed big time and die from the stress even though the other fish may not have actually attacked them. I prop up some of my rock on hidden PVC and it creates a lot more caves and tunnels.

If all water parms are perfect and the dead fish had no injuries then the cause must be some form of stress.

You've been doing this long enough AG, If you haven't seen any bullying, I doubt there is any.

Did you get all of your fish from the same source?

I can't speak for all of your fish, but in regard to anthias they have a large appetite, and some can be difficult to keep.

As you know, some Tangs don't get along...but with scaredy cat Tangs, I don't think it would actually take a mortal wound from another...just the thought of getting hurt, would be enough to scare some Tangs to death.

I don't know jack about gobies.

There has gotta be some common denominator. If it's not aggression.
Consider the source
Consider the food, maybe they're not eating the food as much as you think they are.
(for example, my Tangs will not touch red seaweed, if I tried to feed it to them ,they'd all starve to death)

It's gotta be something like that.

I agree with PRC, I have a hard time believing that in a tank that size, those three fish are bullying your new fish but only when you're not looking.

My first question was also if you are buying all the new fish from the same store, and if you are acclimating them correctly. Are they healthy, looking good, swimming well and eating when you buy them?

The fish you have chosen are not particularly difficult or sensitive fish. If you said something like, "I've tried to add a clown tang four times now and it always dies within a couple weeks!" then there wouldn't really be a mystery. ;) But your fish choices are solid and not very risky animals.

Are your water parameters all good? Maybe there has been something gradually changing in your tank, and your three fish have all adapted to it and are doing fine (in my old 240, my nitrates got to 150+ at one point, and I'm convinced I didn't lose anything because it happened so gradually that the animals were able to adapt to the terrible conditions! :lol:). But I'm also convinced that if I had tried to add a new animal to the tank with the nitrates that high, it would have dropped dead from the shock of such dramatically different conditions than it was used to!

Are your water parameters all good? Maybe there has been something gradually changing in your tank, and your three fish have all adapted to it and are doing fine (in my old 240, my nitrates got to 150+ at one point, and I'm convinced I didn't lose anything because it happened so gradually that the animals were able to adapt to the terrible conditions! :lol:). But I'm also convinced that if I had tried to add a new animal to the tank with the nitrates that high, it would have dropped dead from the shock of such dramatically different conditions than it was used to!

Hey, that's what I said...

Parameters are great! Thanks for the suggestions. You're right in that I've not been selecting particularly sensitive species (with the exception perhaps of the Lieutenant Tang). My feeding hasn't changed either in terms of methods or foods. My tank is pretty stable after all this time. The only factor I can possibly think of is the LFS. I usually only buy from one local supplier because he has very healthy animals, but (with the start of the year) he has had a very limited selection lately, so I've purchased my last 3 fish at my secondary store. At this store, I choose a fish and place it on hold for 2 weeks. During that time, I go in at random times to check on the fish's behavior and eating habits. At the end of the 2 weeks, I decide if I want to purchase.

I do a drip acclimation nice and slow to minimize stress and shock. When ready to be moved to the tank, I turn off all the lights and leave them off until the next day. Then I watch the fish very closely for feeding, bullying, etc.

My tank is chock FULL of ideal hiding places for just about any species of fish or inverts, with many caves, channels, crevacis and holes to hide in, so I doubt that is the issue. I just really hate to flush a beautiful fish (and chunk of change) down the toilet. Maybe it IS this other LFS. That's been the only differing factor.

Has anyone guessed that your water tests could be wrong? Its happens quite oftwn due to bad or old etst kits. Take water sample to LFS.

Back