BH-800s

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
So after a bunch of recommendations, I finally got my reef oct BH-800s set up, and the directons are really, really terrible! I can't get it to start up.
I can't even tell which way on the valve is open and which is closed. I filled it up with some water, set it up, and it only makes a chugging noise and doesn't seem to be pulling anything in.
I attached the hose between the air line and the intake, and nada! It started sucking stuff in once, but it went so fast it almost overflowed all over the place!

Any help from similar owners?

Thanks!
-Alex

on the blue hose open the valve and suck on it and when you get nasty salt water in your mouth shut the valve while still sucking on it. this will prime the overflow tube and it should start working

this is what it should look like

016-4.jpg

i just also purchased an Octopus skimmer and i was reading around and heard some people had problems with them overflowing and flooding, how can i prevent this?

make small adjustments with the cup i started with the cup up high for a couple days and then moved it down do where the base ov the cup was at the top of the bubbles and left it there for a few days then just moved it maybe a 1/16in to were it is at now and it is working great. you just have to keep an eye on it until you are shure it will be fine.

Ok, I'll try that....as much as I do NOT want nasty salt & fish poop water in my mouth!
So which position on the switch is "open"?

Ok, figured out the open/close position and am able to get it to start. The problem is, once it starts going, it rapidly begins to overflow, sending me into a panic to shut it off!
I've experimented moving the cup up & down, but I can't really figure out what the difference is. I admit I'm pretty clueless to the whole process. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you guys keep it going all the time, or on a timer?

Think the pump could be to deep?
I dont know about the Octo skimmers,but on the CSSs,if the pumps to deep,they'll fill cup up real quick.You might try raising the pump.

no the pump is inside the skimmer body just take the cup of at the start and test it just make shure you can get to the switch to turn it off quick if needed. or set the cup so that the bottom of it is a little above the hole in the returne chamber and turn the set screw so that it does not move. that is how i did mine when i got it the hole helps so that it does not overflow on to the floor.

Ok, thanks to all your help, I finally got my BH800 set up!
To be truthful, I'm a little disappointed at how loud it is; is this how loud all skimmers are? (from the 3 skimmers I've already tried, it appears so)

Also, since I've got to plug in the tube, start it, and then disconnect the tube, is there any way to set this up on a timer so I don't have to hear it? (hey, it's in my living room next to my bedroom!) Is this even advisable? I'm really committed to having a skimmer, but after shelling out tons of money for several, I'm really disappointed at how loud they are!

haha - okay okay, one more question: It's filling up slowly with some nasty crap, which is encouraging, but I don't think I'm confident leaving it overnight or while I'm at work yet. Big deal to shut it off til I get back from work tomorrow afternoon?
-A

Nope.No big deal at all.Matter of fact,I'm the same way about my skimmers after I clean them.Which I wont do,unless I can stay close and watch em for a couple of hours at least.It only takes one or 2 floods to make you gun shy.:D

Back