Bi-Colored Angel on his way out?

jbrother

Reefing newb
I purchased a bi-colored angel about 3 months ago and he's starting to look like he's dying. Both the angel and my clown have been doing great so far and the clown still is. I noticed the angel not eating last night and not really swimming around much. This morning I found him just lying on the bottom of the tank. It looked like he was stuck under the rock so I moved the rock and he slowly wiggled out and found a new spot to lay down.

It's strange, I'm watching him right now and he's constantly going from laying down to wiggling and grazing on the rock, swimming in erratic circles and just looks confused. I'm feeling pretty awful right now and I fear I did something wrong. I inspected him and he doesnt have any white spots so it's presumably not "ich" and he doesn't have any red lines so I don't think hes injured.

My readings are all spot on.

Any ideas? I'm putting off going to work in fear that he's going to die...

I did do some rock movement to "free" him.

Update: He died =( I inspected him when I pulled him out and he didn't seem to have anything visually wrong. No white spots, still a very nice color to him.
What I want to focus on is prevention though. My clown is still being his quirky self but I cant let this happen to him as well. Any advice?

The chemical levels read:
Ammonia : 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10-12 (I'll do a water change)
PH: 8.4
Alkalinity: 6
Salinity: 1.023

Last edited:
Also, how do you all deal with the death of a fish? I'm taking it a bit personal because I feel like I failed. We've had this tank running for almost half a year with no accidents and for something to just wipe one out in 1 day is horrible. Do these things just happen sometimes?

sorry to hear about the angel, you know somethines things just happen and are out of our control.. By the looks of your readings you didnt do anything wrong, the nitrates are not to high for the fish so do your waterchange but that wasnt the issue...

Yea, I guess things just do happen. My main concern right now is if there were any diseases that werent detectable by the eye. Moving on though, I'll be getting a new tank soon so once that finishes cycling I'll be able to provide an even healthier environment for future fish.

Thanks a lot, if anyone else has any advice for what might have gone wrong I'd be glad to hear it...prevention is key.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Did you have the angel in your 20 gallon tank? I remember that you didn't really have much live rock. Did you end up adding any?

Last edited:
Yes it was in the 20gal. I was doing some reading a few minutes ago and it seems like that may have been a little small for him...possible cause?

You never know, a smaller, newer tank and an angel (which, I just don't think angels are all that easy, they are more moderate in care and sometimes seem like they need more established systems with lots of live rock) might have led to it. Do you still have the plastic decorations in there, I always worry about those leeching things (chemicals) into the water. Did you add more live rock, I really think without a lot of live rock you just don't have the bacteria and hiding spots that are needed for long term health of the fish.
Just things to perhaps tweak for your next tank. That's all we can do is speculate. I lost a flame angel and it really devastated me so believe me when I say, I'm bummed for you!

Thank you so much. Yea, I took out all the plastic stuff and added more rock. It ended up being nice though because the rock itself seems to give off some nice color. Unless that's bad, haha.

Again, thank you everyone for your advice. I'm always learning =)

Hopefully that'll be your last fish death and it was just a fluke. Sometimes, fish just die. Your numbers look good so I wouldn't blame yourself.
Can't wait to see your new tank come along!

I dont know the whole backstory to your tank, but this is what LA has for the bi-color angel

"A minimum of a 30 gallon tank with lots of hiding places and live rock for grazing will offer an environment in which to thrive"

As I have spent time in this hobby, I have found that the tank minimums are usually under estimated even at places that are notable such as LA. I also read that you did not have a lot of rock in the tank. My Potter's is weaving in and out of my rock all day long, and is not a very 'open water' swimmer. I'm guessing these two things may have stressed the fish out, contributing to its demise. Your water tests are all coming back at acceptable levels

+1 North.

Sometimes these things happen, but the key is lots and lots of research so you know you took all the steps to prevent it.
Sorry about your loss. :(

Back