Bicolor angelfish

kwsm

Reefing newb
Exactly HOW "with caution"?

50/50 shot like most angelfish or more prone to nipping?

Stuff it full of food every day will decrease chances yadda yadda yadda I know that part.

For being a relatively cheap fish with a bright splash of color, just wondering what individual experiences were.

Thanks!

They are riskier than coral beauties or flames, IMO. I think there's a greater than 50% chance a bicolor will be a coral eater. Unfortunate -- they are so pretty! Oh well. That's what the Rainforest Cafe is for, I guess. :mrgreen:

I personally dont believe the keep them full and they wont mess with your corals. Different fish are born with different natures. You cant change nature. I thought I had but 4 yrs later I`m breaking down my tank to get them before they wrecked my tank.

I chanced a coral beauty and my xenia was gone in a week. It took me hours to catch the beautiful SOB and return him to the store!! I don't buy fish that say reef "with caution" anymore.

I chanced a coral beauty and my xenia was gone in a week. It took me hours to catch the beautiful SOB and return him to the store!! I don't buy fish that say reef "with caution" anymore.

Some are worse than others though. Like Foxfaces always say "with caution" but I've never heard anyone say that they went to town on their corals. Always worth asking. Half the things people do in this hobby is a gamble, just always worth knowing the odds. :)

Obviously I'm going to pass on the bicolor. I just want a pretty centerpiece fish for a 55g thats not a Flame Angel. I swear everyone has one...

What about a leopard wrasse as your centerpiece fish? It's my favorite fish of all time. Reef safe and AWESOME.

divided-leopard-wrasse-1.jpg

What about a leopard wrasse as your centerpiece fish? It's my favorite fish of all time. Reef safe and AWESOME.

Been looking actually. we have 4 LFS around here, one doesn't do orders, the other's supplier doesn't get them too often, 1 is over an hour away and I just haven't felt like driving that far (since they need an ID to place an order), and the last one scares the pants off of me and I just never go to.

Also I haven't heard that they're too hard from you guys on this forum, but on others and around the web they say that they're "better left in the ocean" and die within a few months. So I'm torn. If one of the LFS's magically had one I'd buy it but I think I'd be too scared to order it.

I had mine for almost 3 years before it was killed in a rock slide. RIP Boo Boo. :cry: There are others on here that have had them for a while as well. The only reason they can be tough is because sometimes they will only take live food, much like a mandarin.

Back