Bifferwine Deco Contest

Where are the pics?

My coworker took the "good" work camera to a job site. So I was left with the 3.1 megapixel camera that doesn't even have a zoom feature. I was not able to get pics of them before I added them to the tank.

Now they are in the tank, and have disappeared. But I did name them Pablo and Paco. Hopefully once they get used to their surroundings, they will come out! They are too cute to be hiders. And they weren't cheap either, so I want to see them!

I did a bit of research on them before I ordered them. They are pretty rare and only became available in the hobby in 2005. Some sites say they require a pocillopora coral to live in, others say a pocillopora isn't necessary as long as you have live rock to give them hiding places. Some say they will fight with their own kind, other sites say they will pair up with each other. Some say they are easy, some say they are difficult. There really is not a lot of info out there on these fish.

Tomorrow I'll bring in some cyclopeeze and try to feed them, although if I can't find them, I can't feed them!

This is what they look like, and this shows their size compared to a regular clown goby.

pandagoby.jpg

F15022.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great biff! Showing everybody how's it's done!

Only Biff could pull this off. Most of us wouldn't be able to add 6 new corals, more really because some were actually multi corals on one rock, a clam, a shrimp and 2 new fish to a 3 gallon tank that has been wet for less than one week even if we did start with aged water and fully cycled rock and sand. I'll be amazed if you pull this off, and you'll certainly win if you do!

C

Biff my lfs here had like 5 of them and they were so tiny I ended up gettin a ycg instead

I read that they get to be a maximum of 1" long, so I don't know what I was expecting when I ordered them -- they are each about 1 cm long. I did think they'd be bigger. Now that they are in my tank, I can't say I'm really pleased -- I'm not sure if I will ever see them at all.

Finally,somebody with pictures of it set up!

The pandas look too cute and your picture looks great too.It looks bigger then it actually is which is a good thing.

I bet you never thought you'd say that about a fish in a 3g tank haha

True. Panda gobies are even TOO SMALL for a 3 gallon pico, I'm thinking. :( I think tomorrow I will go buy a pocillopora just for them. :grumble: Maybe it will entice them to come out. I'm not sure that the light can support an SPS like that, but I can always move it to my big tank if need be. I have also read that they may feed off of microscopic things trapped in the coral's slime??? I really just want them to come out so I can see them! They supposedly live in the branches of the pocillopora. So it's worth a shot. Better than what they are doing now -- which is hiding BENEATH MY ROCKS.

Finally,somebody with pictures of it set up!

The pandas look too cute and your picture looks great too.It looks bigger then it actually is which is a good thing.

Thanks! I'm actually surprised that there is quite a bit of space to work with in this thing. I'm going to bring some chaeto in tomorrow to stuff in the back chamber, and I think I'll do a water change tomorrow as well.

Francine the fire shrimp is doing just fine today! I was happy to see she survived the first night. Shrimp always seem iffy when they are first introduced, even in established tanks.

WTF I think I see a flatworm in my tank already. Stupid LFSs. I really need to stop shopping locally, these people and their pests.

I read this off liveaquaria.com about the care of the panda goby:

It requires a 10 gallon or larger aquarium with at least one pocillopora coral and some shaded areas for the fish to hide. It will rarely become aggressive towards other fish, but will fight with its own kind in smaller tanks. Therefore, it is best if it is kept with other docile species.

Good luck, Biff.

C

Yeah, at its adult size it requires 10 gallons. Trust me, right now, these guys would be fine in a soda-can sized tank. They are pathetically small!

Did you buy a fish that you didn't research about the requirements before hand?:mrgreen:

No...

I did a bit of research on them before I ordered them. They are pretty rare and only became available in the hobby in 2005. Some sites say they require a pocillopora coral to live in, others say a pocillopora isn't necessary as long as you have live rock to give them hiding places. Some say they will fight with their own kind, other sites say they will pair up with each other. Some say they are easy, some say they are difficult. There really is not a lot of info out there on these fish.

I'm curious if you had researched the panda goby before you added it. Not a good choice, IMO. They usually don't last longer than a few months in our tanks, and the ones that do survive require established, stable systems. They are one of those fish that no one really knows why they don't do well. :mrgreen:

I'm curious if you had researched the panda goby before you added it. Not a good choice, IMO. They usually don't last longer than a few months in our tanks, and the ones that do survive require established, stable systems. They are one of those fish that no one really knows why they don't do well. :mrgreen:

Not true!!!! I read that lots of people have had them successfully! They are even listed as "easy" on some sites!!!!!

:cry:
:lol:

Hey you didn't get my joke. That is your post to me about the clown tang. I just removed clown tang and put in panda goby. :lol: It's no fun if you don't catch it.

Back