Bifferwine Deco Contest

Biff, I'm glad you've got a back-up plan.

Every site I've seen that gives information about these critters says they need a pocillopora coral and that they like to host in SPS. They also say that they require meaty foods. Meaty foods in a tank this size is going to swing your parameters like crazy and cause a constant fight for good water quality. That's going to be almost impossible for a little tank set up at your work place.

I'll be the first to admit that your knowledge of marine tanks is far, far superior than mine so I could be very wrong here but IMO, you should have already established a colony of pocillopora and let your tank mature before adding them.

C

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure it will be okay.

I am well aware that they need meaty foods. Are you aware that almost any fish you add to a pico requires meaty foods? Panda gobies eat mysis, brine and cyclopeeze. Name a fish that would be put into a pico that doesn't eat those things. Baby clown? Yellow clown coby? Any of the pico-sized gobies? They all eat meaty foods. There is no problem with keeping fish that need to be fed in a pico tank. It is easy to change the water. In fact, I'm doing my first water change today.

If you require daily updates of pictures to show that everything in my tank is doing fine, so be it. I'll bring in my camera from home and start on Monday. Thanks for being such a good babysitter of my tanks. I don't know how I have succeeded in this hobby for 10 years now without you.

If you require daily updates of pictures to show that everything in my tank is doing fine, so be it. I'll bring in my camera from home and start on Monday. Thanks for being such a good babysitter of my tanks. I don't know how I have succeeded in this hobby for 10 years now without you.

I wasn't trying to make this a personal attack, why are you?

C

I picked up a little pocillopora frag for the munchkins just now. It was bright pink at the LFS, and it's bright...brown in my tank. :( Oh well. When I do the water change this afternoon, I'll take out the rock that they are currently in and try to place them in the coral instead.

I just did a water change, and looked for the gobies in the rocks. I found one; the second one is hiding too well for me to find him and I didn't want to keep the rocks out of water for too long looking for him. I changed about 1 gallon of water (~30 percent) and sucked up detritus with a turkey baster. When I put the goby back into the tank, I put him next to the pocillopora I bought today, and he went right to the base of it, where he remains. I hope he feels more comfortable there than in the rocks! And I hope the other little guy makes his way out of the rocks over the weekend and finds his way to the coral as well! I don't have a timer for my lights yet, so they'll be getting a 2-day blackout. Maybe that's what they need to settle in and get comfortable! Good old Francine is still hanging out upside down in her cave and the corals and clam are doing just fine. I'll come in tomorrow with some cyclopeeze and try to feed the goby and Francine.

Here are some pics I took of the panda goby. He is in a small styrofoam cup. And here's his new home -- the pocillopora. Sorry about the quality of the pics; I only have my crappy work camera point and shoot. Monday, I'll bring in my Nikon and take some good pics of everyone.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 276
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 238
  • P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 254
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 245
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 274
  • P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 255
  • P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 323
  • P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 271
No kidding. I don't think these guys even qualify as fish. I mean I like them and all, but even in a pico tank, you can't see them. They are just too small even for a 3 gallon, IMO.

i cant believe how TINY the gobies are. I hope the filter doesnt pull them out of the tank. might want to put a sponge around the intake for a bit till they grow some. otherwise, they are an awsome idea for your tank

wow! the sad thing is when i looked at the ruler it was exactly the same as when i measure uhhh..... myself. :( oh hell there i go accidentally typing what im just thinking again.

looking great Biff. send some money my way so i can have such a bad ass start! :)

are you still going to get the pom pom crab? I love those guys. had one in my 180 for a few years but the bad thing about having it in there is i saw it once every 3 months at best.

LOL Alexander. :lol:

I don't know if I will still get the pom pom crab. They are hard to get right now, apparently? I guess that's why mine didn't show up!

I don't have plans to add anything more anytime soon. Maybe next month.

Back