Biffy Breeds Tomato Clowns

YA know Biff.There IS a reason for tightening the chuck on a drill so tight.
IT KEEPS THE BIT FROM SLIPPING:mrgreen:

Christian cut off the end of our old broken Dremel and wired it with the light. So the light works now, and I don't have to go back to Home Depot. We'll be finishing up the phyto farm tonight! Pics to come, of course.

Here is my nanochloropsis (phytoplankton) culture that arrived in the mail:

01-05-09008.jpg

ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!! So exciting! Stuff came in the mail!! (3 of the 5 cats checking it out)

01-05-09006.jpg

Chimichanga has claimed the phytoplankton disk. Also show are the rotifer eggs, brine shrimp, rotifer sieve and two part phyto fertilizer solution.

01-05-09004.jpg

Now it's Waffle's and Wheelie's turn to check it out.

01-05-09005.jpg

And the best part of the package -- the paper it was wrapped in!

01-05-09007.jpg

I made up some saltwater to 1.019 salinity and swirled it around in the phyto disk to dislodge the phyto, and dumped it in a bottle with more saltwater and the two part fertilizer. Then I drilled a hole in the top of the bottle and rain an airline down to the bottom.

01-05-09009.jpg

Put a hole in the side of my stand to run a powerstrip/timer and mount it to the inside of the stand.

01-05-09011.jpg

Plug in the airpump, and hang a single T5 bulb from the back of the other half of the stand.

01-05-09012.jpg

That's going to be enough space and light to grow at least 4 or 5 bottle of phyto at once. In a couple days, I'm going to start hatching the rotifer eggs. They eat the phyto, so I need a good supply of phyto before I can begin to grow rotifers.

Last edited:
Sorry BTW it looks great. Glad you know what you're doing. I wouldn't have a clue. :)

Well thanks! I've been reading up on it. Just trying to do the best I can.

The clowns haven't laid their next batch of eggs yet, so I should be ready to go when the next ones arrive!

Well I have to say you must have done your homework because you look like you completely know what you're doing. You actually make it look easy. :bowdown:

I forgot to add -- the phyto light is on a 16 hour on -- 8 hour off schedule. Some sites said to run it 24 hours a day, some said 12, so I picked a number in the middle :)

It is plugged into my crappy Coralife digital timer that tends to lose a couple hours every week, so we'll see how that works...

Some sites said to use an air stone, others said to not use one, and just use a straight airline with nothing attached at the end -- they say that the phyto can get trapped in the bubbles on the surface. I decided to try it with one.

at the aquarium we use a giant airstone like thingy... it looks exactly like what you've got there biff, just 100xs bigger! lol.

I can't wait to see these lil babies!

Thanks Sharkie!!

Estimates for how long it will take the phyto culture to start growing (i.e. the bottle should turn dark green) range from 2 days to 10 days depending on where I get my info from. Today is Day 2 and the bottle is looking slightly greener, but nowhere near dark green.

All is okay though -- my clowns still haven't laid their next batch of eggs so I think the timing should work out okay.

Uh, what will happen if they decide not to have anymore eggs?

I am reading this thread intensely. I have thought about raising some clowns and now Ill have a thread to watch it happen and see if I want to proceed with my own.

Uh, what will happen if they decide not to have anymore eggs?

That thought has crossed my mind. Usually when they become a mated pair and start laying eggs, it continues indefinitely. Mine have laid eggs twice now, and if they follow the same pattern as the last two batches, the next clutch of eggs will be laid this weekend (Saturday night probably).

If they don't... Then I just wasted a whole lot of time, effort and money :(

Back