Biffy Finally Gets a Build Thread!

Ugh. Major sump leakage tonight. I noticed it after I had completely topped off the tank before bed. Then, 15 minutes later, the sump is about 3 gallons low. And there's water all over the floor.

It's now 12:15. NDB and I spent the last 3 hours completely draining the sump, then when the pump couldn't suck any more, bailing it out by hand, until there was only an inch of water left at the bottom. Then, since my tank was only going to get about half the flow it's supposed to have (minus the returns from the sump), we removed the six K3s and cleaned them all out so they'd perform as best as possible. Then I added a MaxiJet to each end of the tank -- one of them is used for water changes, the other to power my remote DSB/fuge. The DSB/fuge that was hooked up to the sump, and now has zero flow, it's basically just a 35 gallon tub sitting there stagnant. The MaxiJets don't have the protective baskets, so I'm terrified that I'll find a bunch of fish piled up at their bases tomorrow, stuck to them. But, that's a risk I have to take to get more flow in the tank.

NDB has tomorrow off -- he's supposed to dust off my old 20 gallon tank from the back patio, leak test it, and try to set it up. He'll have to remove the broken 55 gallon sump from below the tank first... And figure out how to replumb it all... What a pain in the ass.

Eh. It's okay. I was thinking about it though. We're moving in about a month. I don't think we need to set up a new sump and plumbing. It's all getting torn down soon anyways. They'll just have to go skimmerless for the time.

WOW thats terrible news. sorry to hear that. I wouldnt worry about the mj and the fish. Maxis have such little flow without modifications i would think your fish would have to be really sick and not doing well to get stuck. your basically running an aquaclear now.

Your moving? Dont you own your house? are you buying a house with a better electrical setup :) whats the plans for the tank move?

so what caused the leak?

Looks like the silicone at the bottom of the long front side of the 55 gallon sump is busted. It's leaking out of the top and the bottom of the rim. And when I say "leaking" I really mean "gushing". I was planning on using the 55 as the sump on my new tank when I move into my new house (which won't be running MH, and will be a major downsize from my current tank, so no worries as far as electrical goes, Alexander!). So NDB said when we tear it all down he'd try to reseal it. It doesn't need to be pretty since it's just a sump, but if he can fix it that'd be great. If not, oh well, no biggie.

Oh tank move. I'm going to buy a 75 or something smallish like that. Basically a drilled tank that is 48" long is what I'm looking for. So I can use my old T5 setup and my existing giant skimmer and remote DSB/fuge, and I won't need to rebuy a damn thing except for some PVC for new plumbing. Set it up in the new house, and transfer all my animals to it, and sell off the remaining rock and sand.

Back