Big bullies!

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
So I yesterday I traded in my clownfish for a lyretail hogfish. I figured the body shape was different enough from my magenta pseudo that he wouldnt bother him. Well I was wrong. I'm afraid my pseudo is goIng to harass him to death. Now here is the question. They are in the 29 gallon right now, would it be a good idea to move the hogfish to the ten gallon until the 93g is cycled? Would he be okay in there for a few weeks. I know it's insanely to small for him but it's better than being harassed.

Yea I haven't moved him. I'm filling up the 93 as we speak. Does that dr Tim's intant cycle really work?

You aren't going to like my answer, but I'd say take the hogfish back. There was one on diver's den earlier this week and was listed as "reef compatibility: no" They are really cute fish, but given the question about reef compatibility combined being harrassed by your pseudochromis, I think you should just return him for store credit. I'm sorry it probably isn't what you want to hear :(

Yea I Saw things saying reef safe and reef safe with caution. The reason they aren't reef safe is bc they eat the clean up crew, snails and shrimps. I'm not too worried about that.

Yep. Hogfish will eat the snails,crabs,and shrimp.And they are a cool fish,but like Fishy said,I wouldn't put one in my reef.

Anything that says instant cycle is pretty much just snake oil. Don't waste your money on it.
There is only way to get a tank that you don't have to worry about a cycle in. That is to boy all pre-cured live rock for the tank at one time. MOST of us can't afford that much cured rock all at once.

Will it eat corals? That's all I care about. I can just buy more snails. They are Pretty cheap at my lfs.

I've not seen one bother corals and not heard any reports of them bothering em from our customers that have bought Hogfish. So I'd say that your corals would be safe.

Sounds good to me then. Worst comes to worst I'll just have to take him out of he eats my corals that's all. I'll just watch him. He was cruising around the 29g looking at each and every coral very closely from every angle like he had never seen them before. It was quite interesting to watch. Never nipped them tho. Now he has been hiding bc of the pseudo and six line. Figures

Back