Big Problem!!

chuck78

The Reefanatic
As some you already know, I was about ready to get my 220 gallon aquarium from my LFS. Well......I just found a 300 gallon acryllic tank on craigslist for the EXACT SAME PRICE that I am/was gonna pay for the 220. The seller told me that the tank has a few scratches on the front. My problem is/will be that I have to use a polish to remove the scratches on the inside of the tank. Has anyone here ever had to use a chemical/solvent to remove scratches from INSIDE the tank? Would'nt the polish leave chemicals in the acryllic that could later leach into my reef tank....that has over $3000.00 worth of life in it? Thoughts anyone?:bowdown::bowdown:

They make aquarium safe products for it. But, with an acrylic tank this is going to be a constant problem for you, acrylic scratches very easily. Not to mention you can have abrasive sand being blown around and some snails/fish have teeth strong enough to scratch/gouge acrylic. I would never get an acrylic tank for SW, especially if I were spending that much money on it JMO.

+1 Brian...there are reef safe products that you can use, but it'll be a constant issue. If you do decide to get the acrylic tank, don't forget to sand the scratches down with a fine sandpaper first before using the buffer.

He's now gonna forever look back at this thread and curse us to hell cuz the larger albeit scratched up tank would've looked better in his living room :mrgreen:

Show us pics!

To my understanding, sanding down the acrylic just brings it down a "layer" for lack of a better term....I would assume you would wear a thin spot into it. Are there really any practical applications to a acrylic SW tank in a home setting??? I know that places like Seaworld only use acrylic, however those are in their show tanks with no sand and the whales really arent gnawing on them....probably like my crazy snail snatching goby would...

Back