Bigger and Better Things,I Hope

fyretr7

Reefing newb
Hello all I am career firefighter and fitness Instructor.Before that I was Navy Special Operations.I have taught scuba since the late 70's as a part time profession.I started my 1st saltwater tank back in mid 80;'s when I was part owner in a dive operation.We had a custom 100 gallon tank in the building we rented so I figured "what the hell".Almost 20 yrs later and I'm still a mere rookie at all this.I have a 30 and 40 gallon(fish only) tank's at home with the basics and have had some success with them.I have raised 2 snowflake eels from 6" pencil sized to one that was over 2 feet long.I now have one who is pushing that now and is around 2 yrs old.Recently a friend of mine got out of the hobby and I was given a 125 gallon tank with lights and full spectrum of equipment.I am thinking of starting a reef tank in a month or so after I get the stand and canopy refinished and everything set-up the way I need it.Hoping you guys can help me with some advice cause like I said I'm a mere beginner in this hobby.

Can you snap someones neck?:squint:

Welcome to the site and to reefing :Cheers:

....with your pinky? :shock:

Sadly enough you'll learn that many of us are just not as cool as you'd hope :grumble:

Nonetheless, welcome :bounce:

What kind of equipment (type of lights, skimmer, sump, power heads, etc.) did you get with the tank?

<----nosey :mrgreen:

Lets see if I can get all this straight.The tank is an oceanic 125 gallon with matching stand and canopy.Lighting is 4 MHO and there are 3 retrofit 250 watt MH with ballasts.Two retrofit cooling fans from Radio Shack(plan on adding a six pack of clamp ons and venting the canopy with perhaps 2 venting on the sides or top.Return pump is a mag18 .Protein skimmer is a diy by a local fish guy with a rio 17 hf pump.Sump/refug is a 30 gallon converted aquarium with 3 chambers.Water movement is 2 Tune 6080's .I also have a mag 12 pump extra and a rio 30hf pump along with a rio 1100.Whew im hoping I said all this right lol.oh yyeah and 2 200 heaters and 1 150 along with a rodi system (hope I said that right.Oh and BTW not into "neck snapping" at this time BUTTTT I can put out ur fires,strictly on a preofessional level.lol

Welcome to the reef.
The best advice I can give you to start with,is the 3 Rs.Research,research,and research,then of course post any and all questions you come up with.

Lets see if I can get all this straight.The tank is an oceanic 125 gallon with matching stand and canopy.Lighting is 4 MHO and there are 3 retrofit 250 watt MH with ballasts.Two retrofit cooling fans from Radio Shack(plan on adding a six pack of clamp ons and venting the canopy with perhaps 2 venting on the sides or top.Return pump is a mag18 .Protein skimmer is a diy by a local fish guy with a rio 17 hf pump.Sump/refug is a 30 gallon converted aquarium with 3 chambers.Water movement is 2 Tune 6080's .I also have a mag 12 pump extra and a rio 30hf pump along with a rio 1100.Whew im hoping I said all this right lol.oh yyeah and 2 200 heaters and 1 150 along with a rodi system (hope I said that right.Oh and BTW not into "neck snapping" at this time BUTTTT I can put out ur fires,strictly on a preofessional level.lol

You were GIVEN! all of that? WTF! I need to borrow your friends.

:bounce:...Nice! You can definitely have some fun with a set-up like that! Must be a good friend...:Buds:

Wow,
Thanks all I'm sure I will learn a buttload of information from you guys and er girls too!!!..........................Doyle

Hello and welcome to our underwater world of knowledge. :bowdown: Were can i meet some friends like your. All my friends give me is a hard time:shock:

Back