Bio Balls. Stay or Go

JAG: um not really i think they would just float, i would assume. I could measure it up and see what i can come up with. The sponges could be submerged correct? I could weigh them down somehow so they sit on top of the egg create maybe with some live rock ? would this work ?

Last edited:
Maybe something like this
sumppic2.jpg

Would this work well ? Or should i put the bio balls where the sponges are ?

Out they go. Over the course of a couple weeks of course. Going to take out about a hand full at a time, should do the trick.

How much live rock is advisable in a sump? (assuming the tank is also stocked well with LR)
No one really weighed in on the filter pads....good option? Or just live rock & DSB? (I'm building my sump now, looking for answers too)
-Alex

A lot of folks dont use any kind of filter pads.
Me personally,I like to have the option.I'll use a filter pad when there is a lot of stuff floating around.Then pull it out when I dont think its needed.

A lot of folks dont use any kind of filter pads.
Me personally,I like to have the option.I'll use a filter pad when there is a lot of stuff floating around.Then pull it out when I dont think its needed.

Ok, sounds good. How much live rock do you put in?

Ok...not to hijack the thread, but I'm also looking at buying my pump. I understand that you lose GPH due to the height it has to pump up to my display tank....how much GPH do people look for (before head loss)?

You want a pump thats rated for at least 10X the tank size.So for a 75 gallon tank,you need right at 750gph.
I ran a Mag 5 for a little over a year on my 75.

I run a 6000LPH return pump (made for a pond) on my 250Litre tank nice flow. Im gonna start taking the bio balls out today little at a time and replace it with live rock and filter socks for the down pipes. Got to re plumb it but that is a good thing as i didnt like my first go at it.

Back