Bio Balls

Bio balls generally aren't a good idea, unless you are willing to clean them religiously.
Big chunks of food and poo can get stuck in them, and decompose, which will cause water quality issues.
The skimmer/sump is a much much better option.

I would not use bioballs in a reef system. Live rock and live sand should provide all the biological filtration you need, provided you have enough.

My sump is a 50 gallon. It has 2 over flows leading from the main tank into the top of the sump which from there the water goes through media cloth to catch any crap/junk. Then the water filters through about 10 gallons of bio balls into the main part of the sump where I have a protien skimmer, about 25 pounds of live rock and a small uv light thats good for a 100 gallon tank. Then the water gets sucked up by 2 return pumps to the main tanks.
I haven't had any issues so far but should I remove the bio balls or what?
Should I do any thing different?

I would remove the bioballs. Unless you are cleaning them regularly, they can become a nitrate factory. Just remove a handful with each water change and then turn that area in to a fuge.

+1 everyone....some have had success using bioballs, but they do clean them out regularly...imho, it's just one more thing you have to do.

If you DO decide to take out your bioballs, do NOT take it all out at once! Just remove a cup a week, otherwise you might cause your tank to cycle, to compensate for the sudden loss of bacteria.

Make sure you're cleaning that media cloth regularly as well...just shake off the gunk in the water you just took out during your water changes.

Back